Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can my husband who is a mechanic deduct the cost of his helper as a job-related expense?

My husband is a mechanic. As part of his job he has been given a helper. One of the conditions for having this helper is that he must pay 50% of the helper's hourly rate. This expense is deducted directly from his paycheck. Is this expense deductible?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

11 Replies

Can my husband who is a mechanic deduct the cost of his helper as a job-related expense?

Your spouse is a W-2 employee? And not an independent contractor?

And assuming he is a W-2 employee, will his W-2 at the end of the year reflect his gross earnings before or after the deduction?  In other words, if his salary is (for example) $60,000 per year, and he is paying $5000 for the helper, will his W-2 show income of $60,000 or $55,000?

Yes, he is a W2 employee. On his pay stub it would say regular pay $2,000.00 helper deduction $500.00 total pay $1,500.00.

your husband should find a new employer. You can tell him I said that.

It would be better if the employer reduced his salary and paid him $1500 flat.  Or if the W-2 would have the $1500 figure.  That way the income would be reduced, resulting in lower tax.  No deduction, but you aren't taxed on income you never get.  

As is, if the W-2 shows the effect of $2000 gross, then the expense is an unreimbursed work expense which is an itemized deduction subject to the 2% rule.  You will get some deduction depending on his income and other itemized deductions but at best it will be partial only.  

Really not a good way to do this.
Hal_Al
Level 15

Check the withholding on the pay stub. Is he paying social security and medicare tax on $2000 or only $1500? If only $1500; then the deduction has already been taken for tax purposes. If not, he should talk to them about changing that

Social Security is 6.2% of the gross taxable income. If you divide the amount of Social Security tax by 6.2%, the result will be the wages that he is paying tax on.
Hal_Al
Level 15

The simple answer to your question is: Yes, he can deduct that. That's clearly a job or business expense. That answer  assumes that his W-2 (or 1099-Misc) does not already show  a reduced net pay (meaning the expense has already been deducted)

How he goes about deducting it depends on whether he is a regular W-2 employee or a contract (1099-Misc) employee

How would you deduct if 1099-Misc?
Hal_Al
Level 15

If you are paid on a 1099-Misc, the deduction is easier because you are not an employee. You are an independent contractor. As such, your helper is either your employee or a sub contractor. Your deduct it as wages (line 28 of schedule C) or contract labor (line 11 of Schedule C).  If you paid your helper more than $600, you must issue him a 1099-Misc.
Bill_

I am a 1099 independent Contractor. I am using a helper. I do not have a DBA or officially a structured business. Can I as a 1099. 1099 my helper?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies