turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can I increase the cost basis of the house by $100,000 for a new kitchen or is this not allowed because the insurance company paid for it?

Also, should I pay contractors directly or have insurance company write the checks to pay for replacing the kitchen. The main issue is still whether or not I can increase the cost basis of the kitchen (which should offset some profit on eventual sale of house) even though the funds came in the form of reimbursement from my insurance company. Thanks!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
AmandaR1

Can I increase the cost basis of the house by $100,000 for a new kitchen or is this not allowed because the insurance company paid for it?

You should increase the cost basis of your house by the costs of improvements, but also reduce the cost basis by all insurance reimbursements

If you have the insurance company pay costs directly, then those amounts are simply excluded from your cost basis calculation.  While the improvement increases your value, the reimbursement decreases it. 

For this info at the IRS, check out the last paragraph at the IRS tax topic resource here.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
AmandaR1

You should increase the cost basis of your house by the costs of improvements, but also reduce the cost basis by all insurance reimbursements

If you have the insurance company pay costs directly, then those amounts are simply excluded from your cost basis calculation.  While the improvement increases your value, the reimbursement decreases it. 

For this info at the IRS, check out the last paragraph at the IRS tax topic resource here.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies