turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I have a foreign address and used turbotax free edition to file TY 2017 return but I'm now getting a messg saying I can't file TY 2018 cause IRS requires a 1040 Why now?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
KarenJ
Intuit Alumni

I have a foreign address and used turbotax free edition to file TY 2017 return but I'm now getting a messg saying I can't file TY 2018 cause IRS requires a 1040 Why now?

You must upgrade to the Deluxe version to enter a foreign address to your return. 

However, there are some restrictions regarding foreign-address returns:

• IRS regulations require a U.S. bank account to receive your tax refund, and you'll need a U.S. bank account (or credit/debit card with a U.S. billing address) if paying additional federal taxes owed.
  • Like many stateside merchants, we require a U.S. billing address to pay for TurboTax if using a credit or debit card.
    • If you're deducting fees from your refund with the optional Pay With My Refund service, you'll need a U.S. or APO/FPO/DPO address.
  • Free products like TurboTax Free Edition and TurboTax Easy Extension require a U.S. or APO/FPO/DPO address upon registration.

Some states also let you e-file with non-U.S. addresses. We'll let you know if your state supports this.

"File for free!” 
"File for free!” 

What BS! 

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

it is because you are filing foreign income now and the free version must have a U.S. or APO/FPO/DPO address upon registration. Also Turbo Tax free is only free if you have a simple return with no schedules... Foreign income reporting requires a deluxe or higher because there are extra schedules to prepare. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies