turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

lori2676

Is there a way I can change what I entered on the form 8889? I put none on some of the months and they should be self?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

Is there a way I can change what I entered on the form 8889? I put none on some of the months and they should be self?

You get to that screen by checking "I had different plan types at different times of the year" on the screen entitled "Was [name] covered by a High Deductible Health Plan (HDHP) in 2017?" (see screen shot below). The next screen asks for your type of coverage for each month of the year.

Restart your HSA interview (go to Federal->Deductions & Credits->Medical->HSA, MSA Contributions), say "Edit" on the Summary screen, then progress through the interview, skipping past the 1099-SA section.

However, occasionally, the dynamic nature of the screen workflow makes it difficult to get back to the screen you want (although this one shouldn't be a problem). In this case, you might be best served with deleting your HSA information and re-entering it.

The safest - although brute force - way to delete all HSA information is to do the following:

1. make a copy of your W-2(s) (if you don't have the paper copies)

2. delete your W-2(s) (use the garbage can icon next to the W-2(s) on the Income screen

*** Desktop***

3. go to View (at the top), choose Forms, and select the desired form. Note the Delete Form button at the bottom of the screen.

*** Online ***

3. go to Tax Tools (on the left), and navigate to Tools->Delete a form

4. delete form(s) 1099-SA (if one), 8889-T, and 8889-S (if one)

5. go back and re-add your W-2(s), preferably adding them manually

6. go back and redo the entire HSA interview. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

I did this as well and I haven't been able to undo this mistake or edit this form. This is a huge issue please fix this problem.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies