turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How to I report untaxed VA caregiver income to be able to receive the child care credit

We are currently not qualified for the child care credit because one of us is a VA Caregiver who's income in not taxable and subsequently it appears that I have no income. How could I report said untaxable income as to receive this credit?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

How to I report untaxed VA caregiver income to be able to receive the child care credit

You can't.  The child care credit requires that both spouses have "earned income."  (That is, income subject to social security or self-employment tax.)  Forms of income that are not earned do not qualify you for the credit.  Since the IRS has determined that certain caregiver income is not taxable earned income, it can't be used to qualify for tax items that require earned income (such as the child care credit, certain IRA contributions, and a few other things.)

If being a non-taxable caregiver was going to allow you to claim the child care credit, that would have to be changed by Congress.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies