turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Scott2-0

How do I deduct my electric car charger? Apparently, the tax bill allows the purchase of an electric-car charger to be taken as a credit on 2017 tax returns.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DianeW
Expert Alumni

How do I deduct my electric car charger? Apparently, the tax bill allows the purchase of an electric-car charger to be taken as a credit on 2017 tax returns.

You are correct.  On February 9th, 2018, Congress retroactively extended this through 2017.  

It will likely take several weeks for the IRS and TurboTax to get the Forms ready for that, so you may want to wait to file your tax return.  The other alternative is to file now without it, then amend your tax return later to add the credit.

You can keep checking back in your return to see when it's available.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
DianeW
Expert Alumni

You are correct.  On February 9th, 2018, Congress retroactively extended this through 2017.  

It will likely take several weeks for the IRS and TurboTax to get the Forms ready for that, so you may want to wait to file your tax return.  The other alternative is to file now without it, then amend your tax return later to add the credit.

You can keep checking back in your return to see when it's available.

Trumanmcarthur
Returning Member

how do i deduct my deduction for an electric car

Trumanmcarthur
Returning Member

I can not find a place to deduct for my electric car on the Deluxe turbo tax

Trumanmcarthur
Returning Member

where do i enter my deduction for an electric car?

@Trumanmcarthur  It's a tax credit, not a deduction:

To apply for the Plug-in Electric Drive Motor Vehicle Credit, you will follow the steps below once you are in your return:

• Click on Deductions and Credits
  • Locate Cars and Other Things You Own
  • On Energy Efficient Vehicles, click on Start
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies