turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Mikek228

I was a w2 for half the year and 1099 for other half where do I write off home office expense?

Do I do the W2 Home Office expense write off for the 5 months of w2? And the other Home Office expense for the 5 and half months as 1099 in Business Expense? I was let go as W2 and put on unemployment for several weeks before being re-hired as a 1099 starting in the beginning of July.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I was a w2 for half the year and 1099 for other half where do I write off home office expense?

Yes, you can take both off, but they are done differently in Turbo Tax.  Allocate your expenses 5 and 5.5.

For your W-2:

1. Deductions & Credits 

2. Employment Expenses 

3. Job-Related Expenses.   

The program will walk you through entering the square footage of your home and office, and any other expenses you may incur.  

For your 1099:

1. Go to Business Income and Expenses. 

2. Click Update by Profit and Loss from Business

3. Click Edit to the right of your business name. 

4. Go down to Business Expenses

5. Click Start or Update by Home Office Expense

6. Answer Yes, I have a home office for this business

7. Answer the questions on the Let's get some info about your home office screen

8. Answer the Do any of these apply to your home office? 

9. You'll see that you qualify on the next screen. 

10. Enter the info needed on the next several screens; this tells Turbo Tax how to allocate the expenses. 

11. On the How do you want to enter your home office expenses for 2016? Screen, select I'll enter actual expenses with the Office Expense Expert (recommended). 

12. A few screens in, you'll reach a Expenses for my home office.  Select Yes, I have expenses that apply only to the home office (this is not common). 

13. Click Continue till you're back at the Business menu.  

View solution in original post

1 Reply

Yes, you can take both off, but they are done differently in Turbo Tax.  Allocate your expenses 5 and 5.5.

For your W-2:

1. Deductions & Credits 

2. Employment Expenses 

3. Job-Related Expenses.   

The program will walk you through entering the square footage of your home and office, and any other expenses you may incur.  

For your 1099:

1. Go to Business Income and Expenses. 

2. Click Update by Profit and Loss from Business

3. Click Edit to the right of your business name. 

4. Go down to Business Expenses

5. Click Start or Update by Home Office Expense

6. Answer Yes, I have a home office for this business

7. Answer the questions on the Let's get some info about your home office screen

8. Answer the Do any of these apply to your home office? 

9. You'll see that you qualify on the next screen. 

10. Enter the info needed on the next several screens; this tells Turbo Tax how to allocate the expenses. 

11. On the How do you want to enter your home office expenses for 2016? Screen, select I'll enter actual expenses with the Office Expense Expert (recommended). 

12. A few screens in, you'll reach a Expenses for my home office.  Select Yes, I have expenses that apply only to the home office (this is not common). 

13. Click Continue till you're back at the Business menu.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies