turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

qquinones

If the DOT is paying me for renting part of my property for road widening, can i deduct part of my real estate taxes for that portion of land as an expense on Schedule E?

Schedule E is asking me to "enter common expenses" and the only thing that would really apply is Real Estate taxes since DOT is the one renting. Also, they're going to tear down 4 of my full grown pine trees. Can I use that anywhere in this schedule and where? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

If the DOT is paying me for renting part of my property for road widening, can i deduct part of my real estate taxes for that portion of land as an expense on Schedule E?

Yes, you can include that portion of the real estate taxes as an expense, but only if you do not include that portion as an itemized expense on Schedule A for your home.

As for the trees, you cannot include that as an expense if you are not paying for it. 

If you are paying for the cutting down of the 4 trees, then yes, you could deduct it. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

1 Reply

Yes, you can include that portion of the real estate taxes as an expense, but only if you do not include that portion as an itemized expense on Schedule A for your home.

As for the trees, you cannot include that as an expense if you are not paying for it. 

If you are paying for the cutting down of the 4 trees, then yes, you could deduct it. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies