Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

If am currently self employed in equine therapy (mental health based) can these be deductions/loss?.

I have been utilizing my horse solely in my practice (not for personal use).  Due to medical issues I had to put her down in October, so this took a toll on my business.  I have since purchased a new horse for the sole purpose of work.  My question is, can I deduct the vet bills/euthanasia/disposal fees as a loss?  And the purchase of the new horse as a deduction as well?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Leonard
Intuit Alumni

If am currently self employed in equine therapy (mental health based) can these be deductions/loss?.

Yes, you can deduct the medical expenses associated with your horse that was used solely in your business practice.

You will depreciate the cost of the new horse using the following guidelines.

Horses are depreciated over either three years or seven years.

Broodmares, stallions, racehorses or other horses older than 12 years of age, are depreciated over three years.

Broodmares, stallions, show horses, riding horses, or any other horse 12 years or younger are depreciated over seven years.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Leonard
Intuit Alumni

Yes, you can deduct the medical expenses associated with your horse that was used solely in your business practice.

You will depreciate the cost of the new horse using the following guidelines.

Horses are depreciated over either three years or seven years.

Broodmares, stallions, racehorses or other horses older than 12 years of age, are depreciated over three years.

Broodmares, stallions, show horses, riding horses, or any other horse 12 years or younger are depreciated over seven years.

MarthaTee

I use my horses Part time for my business which is an equine assisted learning and coaching business. I board them at a local farm which is also where I hold my workshops (and am charged a rental fee). Can I deduct some of my board, farrier, and vet expenses?  I purchased one horse this year - Do I claim him as an asset?

RobertG
Expert Alumni

Yes, you can claim all ordinary and necessary business expenses relating to your business, whatever your business is.

If you use an asset for both business and personal use, you can allocate expenses between the business and personal portions.

just use a reasonable method and keep records of what you did.

@MarthaTee

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies