Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

celoli

My spouse has SSN from her expired J1 visa that she got for work and travel 5 years ago. Can we use that SSN for tax return although she does not have work permission?

I am a resident alien with F1 visa and my spouse has F2 visa. We will use married filing jointly status for our tax return. I know that we need SSN or ITIN for her to file taxes jointly. My spouse has SSN. She got this SSN 5 years ago that she came to US with work and travel program with J1 visa. But now she is not working since she does not have work permission. Can we use that SSN for tax return or do we need to apply for ITIN?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
pk
Level 15
Level 15

My spouse has SSN from her expired J1 visa that she got for work and travel 5 years ago. Can we use that SSN for tax return although she does not have work permission?

When dis you enter the country with F-1?  Are you sure that you have passed the  substantial presence test?

Yes , if you are indeed a Resident Alien for Tax purposes, and your wife  is under your visa i.e. her F-1 is subservient to your visa, then you both would be considered Resident Alien for tax purposes.  File MFJ ( Married Filing Joint ) since you have an ITIN/SSN and she has SSN.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
pk
Level 15
Level 15

When dis you enter the country with F-1?  Are you sure that you have passed the  substantial presence test?

Yes , if you are indeed a Resident Alien for Tax purposes, and your wife  is under your visa i.e. her F-1 is subservient to your visa, then you both would be considered Resident Alien for tax purposes.  File MFJ ( Married Filing Joint ) since you have an ITIN/SSN and she has SSN.

celoli

Yes, I am sure that I am a resident alien. Thanks a lot for your answer.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies