Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I deposited $3k of post-tax dollars into my pre-tax HSA. The deposit was made in 2019 for the 2018 year. This was after I received my 2018 1099A. How do I add $3k in TT?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

10 Replies

I deposited $3k of post-tax dollars into my pre-tax HSA. The deposit was made in 2019 for the 2018 year. This was after I received my 2018 1099A. How do I add $3k in TT?

I may be missing something but I don't see a prompt in the 2019 version of Turbo Tax for "Did you put money into an HSA." There doesn't appear to be a way to enter these contributions. I'm seeing info about a 5498-SA form that isn't generated from HSA bank until May 1, 2019 that includes the contributions made in 2019 for the 2018 tax year. Looks like the 5498-SA isn't reportable on Turbo Tax, so I'm unclear as to how I'm supposed to recoup the tax money that I've paid on these contributions.

Did you already file your 2018 return?  And, what program are you using - the online or the desktop?

I may see what happened.  The "jump to HSA" link is kind of hidden at the top above the Form 5498 information.  I added a second screenshot to the answer below.  See if you can get to that screen.

I did not already file the 2018 return. Yes, I correctly clicked on the "jump to HSA" previously. The 1st screen shot doesn't exist in my version of turbo tax. It's the online Turbo Tax Deluxe version. I found an IRS Pub 969 that makes it look like the contribution will be automatically on my 2019 W-2

The screenshot is from the online version.  After you click the jump to link, you should get a screen with your HSA summary, do you get that screen?

Yes, HSA summary screen...then press "edit"...then check "HSA" in "Tell us about the health-related accounts"...then there are a series of screens  for the 1099-SA form information but no "Let's enter Dan's HSA contributions". I've deleted and re-input this w/o success.
Sorry, to clarify, I'm already using the Premier version (not the Deluxe version)

Ok, when you get to the screen that shows the 1099-SA information.  Don't click the Edit option for the 1099-SA information.  Click Done instead.  Then you should get a screen asking you to work on your HSA, asking you about inheriting it, then you should get a screen asking Did you contribute to HSA - yes - then get the screen in the screenshot below

Ok, it worked. There is a small glitch in turbo tax. I deleted the info again and re-did it and was able to go through the screens you posted. Thank you for your help!

Perfect!  That was going to be my next suggestion.  Glad it worked out in the end.

Click the search icon in the top right and search for "HSA" and click the jump link.  This should bring you back to your HSA summary where your distribution will show.  Click Edit and follow the prompts until you get to a screen that asks "Did you put money into an HSA" and then you should get the screen below.  The second line (see attached screenshot) is where you can enter your contributions outside of the payroll deduction process.

It's not clear from your question if you also need to amend your return to report this contribution.  If so, you can follow the instructions below to start the amendment process and then when you get to the screen asking you what you want to amend - use the steps above to enter the contribution.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3288565

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies