cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 1

Should I deduct 1099-LTC benefit payments as "medical expense reimbursements?"

My mother is chronically ill and in a nursing home.  She receives per diem payments under her Long Term Care policy and I receive a 1099-LTC for these payments.  I entered the total 1099-LTC  amount in the Misc. Income in the designated section.  The nursing home charges are greater than the LTC benefits.  Should I list 1099-LTC payments total in the "medical reimbursements received" section as well? 

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 7

Yes, but be sure to also enter the total Medical Expenses there as well, so that your mother can still claim the expenses that exceeded the reimbursement.

To enter the 1099-LTC, type '1099ltc' in the Search window, and 'Jump to 1099-ltc' for the entry area. If expenses entered in Medical Expenses exceed the amount of the 1099-LTC, it is not considered taxable income.

So basically you are entering the 1099-LTC in the Income section, then entering the Expenses/Reimbursement in the Deductions section to complete this reporting.

Here's more info:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/5851542

Edited 3/24/28 2:38 pm

1 Reply
Highlighted
Level 7

Yes, but be sure to also enter the total Medical Expenses there as well, so that your mother can still claim the expenses that exceeded the reimbursement.

To enter the 1099-LTC, type '1099ltc' in the Search window, and 'Jump to 1099-ltc' for the entry area. If expenses entered in Medical Expenses exceed the amount of the 1099-LTC, it is not considered taxable income.

So basically you are entering the 1099-LTC in the Income section, then entering the Expenses/Reimbursement in the Deductions section to complete this reporting.

Here's more info:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/5851542

Edited 3/24/28 2:38 pm