dghemmes

would like if I could add supporting details for property taxes

We moved last year so I paid property taxes in 2 places on our then principal residence. Would be nice if I could supporting details in the program instead of just the sum of everything. Could be as many as 4 payments that need to be added up.

@dghemmes wrote:

I don't think you understand what I am asking for.

To add supporting details the box where you enter the property taxes has to highlighted.  Then click on Edit at the top of the desktop program screen.  Click on Add Supporting Details.

Or in Forms mode - On the Tax and Interest Deduction Worksheet, highlight the property tax box, right click on the box and select Add Supporting Details.

The IRS doesn’t need those details, there’s no way to add them to the form. If they have questions, they will send you a letter later.  At best, you could file by mail and attach a written statement, but written statements that are not required are often lost anyway.

dghemmes

I need those details just like you can do it in very many other places for my own record keeping. Adding supporting details that are not reported to the IRS is possible in many places in the program. Just think this feature should be added to the program.

Technically speaking, when your tax return is e-filed, TurboTax creates an XML file that is uploaded to a data warehouse. The IRS downloads that XML file and imports it into their system for processing. TurboTax cannot include anything that is not already approved in the IRS‘s XML specifications, or the return will automatically be rejected.  No tax preparer can change the specifications of the XML file, no matter how good an idea it might be. Only the IRS can do that.

dghemmes

@dghemmes wrote: