Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

bkaps

Will a Gift of Equity to a family member result in capital gains?

Hello,

I have a client selling his investment property to his son.  The son actually rents the property currently.  The dad purchased it for $75,000 and currently owes $80,000, the sons loan amount will be $210,000, The sale price and appraised value will be $300,000 and the dad will net $120,000.   Will the Dad be required to pay capital gains or a gift tax in CA?

Thanks. 

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
pk
Level 15
Level 15

@bkaps  I am not sure I am following you on the actual scenario -- what I get is that:

(a) the seller/father bought the prop for  $75,000 ( when  and how was the prop. used all these years ? )

(b) The owner is selling the prop. to son for  $300,000.  Should we assume that this is  "at arm's length " or what ?    Is this  FMV ?

(c) If one assumes that this is "at arms length " transaction , then the  gain for the seller is :

Sales Price ( $300,000 ) LESS any sales expenses including commission . transfer taxes  etc.)   LESS adjusted basis.

Adjusted Basis  =   (Acquisition Cost  + Cost of improvements  over the ownership period)   LESS  Accumulated allowable  Depreciation ( whether recognized or not )..

(d)  Given the above and based on the facts that you have shared, there will be both Capital and ordinary gain for the seller.

(e) Please also note that because this is a transaction between related parties, even if  at arms length, there are a few restrictions on the buyer  ( if he/she were to dispose off the asset.).

Is there more I can do for you ?

Please note that " my client" and use of TubroTax for preparing such tax return(s)  raises  red flags.  Please see TurboTax usage  restrictions/license .

The transaction will be treated as a transfer that is part gift and part sale.

As such, Treas. Reg. § 1.1015-4 will control.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/26/1.1015-4

I highly recommend that you seek guidance from a qualified tax professional.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies