Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ewoods1

Why doesn't the interest listed on my 1098 match the year to date interest on my December mortgage statement?

My December 2020 mortgage statement says I paid several thousand dollars more in interest than my 1098. My bank couldn't explain why.
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

Why doesn't the interest listed on my 1098 match the year to date interest on my December mortgage statement?

only your bank can't explain.  we have no access to their records.  A possibility is you're looking at the interest paid from the date the loan was taken out, the 1098 would only reflect 2020 interest paid.   another possibility is the statement includes interest that was to be paid in December but your check arrived in January.  These are only guess. when you call ask to speak to someone higher up at the bank. if they can't tell you ask them if you should inform your local newspapers about the problem the bank is having.  or report the bank to your local newspaper. 

ewoods1

Thanks for the reply. I guess I was wondering if there was a general reason why the interest reported on the 1098 would be different than the interest actually paid. I spent a couple of hours on the phone with my bank today to try to find someone to explain why this might be, and I couldn't get anyone who even knew how to correct a 1098. 

So I guess the next question is, if I definitely paid more interest than is being reported on my 1098, and can prove that I did, I should deduct the actual interest I paid, right?

ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

You can report the actual interest you paid even though the amount reported on your form 1098 is different. It is probably a timing difference, so you may have to reverse the adjustment next year though.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies