Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Why does turbotax limit the amount of charitable deduction to 60%. I thought that limit was lifted for this year if you want?

How do I enter the information to qualify for the 100% charitable credit?

melvinwpete
Returning Member

Why does turbotax limit the amount of charitable deduction to 60%. I thought that limit was lifted for this year if you want?

It seems your current 2021 program has reverted to the 60% limit on donations versus AGI despite your narrative  saying correctly that 100% of AGI is the limit for 2021.

us00051
Returning Member

It sure seemed like Turbo Tax did not handle the 100% charitable deduction correctly. I also looked at behind the scenes Turbo Tax calculations and I did not think they looked correct. So I used Turbo Tax for some things but did some other things by myself after reviewing tax code and submitted my taxes outside of Turbo Tax. My impression of IRS guidance on the 100% deductible issue was that it also was very poor. I hope Turbo Tax and IRS do a better job on this for the upcoming tax year because I believe the 100% deductible charitable law is still in effect for this tax year as well. 

since there have been many threads about this issue my guess is that the Turbotax version has not been updated for the 100% deduction. Usually, the early release versions merely reflect mostly the prior year's tax laws.

when the update will come is unknown  

us00051
Returning Member

It is really unfortunate to see how miserably slow Turbo Tax is in changing their software  when tax laws change. As an ex computer programming professional (now retired) I would think that these change would be relatively easy to complete. I wondered if other tax software might be better, but was hesitant to sink any additional money into another software package without any advance knowledge that it would work. I tried to see if Turbo Tax would amend their software by the time taxes were due for 2020 but gave up on waiting. 

I use both TT for personal and Business and yeah it is hard to see it come so close to great and fall short with strange little things that could be easily corrected. On the personal side thankfully you were aware of the 100% temporary limit but what if you hadn't been? On the business side not being able to group assets. For example a rental house to which is added a new roof, perhaps an improvement and so on. When it is sold these assets which form the overall property can't be grouped for sale.  I certainly respect the incredible effort it is to keep up with changing code and would never want the responsibility of such a program but I am sure as a Tech guy it bugs you. My only suggestion is find work arounds keep asking for solutions and if someone else makes a better product buy it instead. I hope TT folks will listen and make the small step to great. 

rama1970

i am trying to give away cash in the amount up to my adjusted gross income for 2021 but the program limits me to 60%.  So how do i get the full deduction on Schedule A.  I don't see anywhere to make an election for the Cares Act to take the 100% amount

SusanY1
Expert Alumni

This should be addressed in a future update soon - the Schedule A form isn't ready just yet and clearly this area also needs updated to reflect the current tax law for 2021.   

In the meantime, if you are trying to determine the amount that you can give away - use the Tools menu to view your Tax Summary to get an idea of what your Adjusted Gross Income (AGI) is, as this is the number that is used to determine your maximum deduction.  

@rama1970

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
jackspain

Turbo tax has provision for 100% , but donations to private foundations are limited to 60%. How do I enter? Thanks. Jack Spain

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies