turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Why does TurboTax and my calculation of Recovery Rebate Credit differ from IRS?

I have a very simple request: I want a line-by-line review from the IRS on the Recovery Rebate credit worksheet to reconcile a $1,100 difference.

The calculations from TurboTax 2020 and my own manual completion of the worksheet provide one answer, which is the same answer.

In contrast, the IRS adjusted my return without any consultation to a different resulting value.  All I'm told is line 30 of my 1040 is their value, not my resulting value.  No one has been willing to step through line-by-line  on the worksheet to reconcile the difference.

I e-filed my 2020 taxes via TurboTax over 2 months ago.  I then waited while the IRS made their adjustments, which is a first for me in e-filing for as long as I can remember.   The online verbiage provided no clear and reasonable explanation on why the revision was made.  The paper explanation was also useless.

I have spent more than 5 hours on the phone, either on hold or talking with various agents (and have recorded each of their agent IDs), to try to determine why my return was reduced by $1,100.   There have been many unnecessary redirections, several phone disconnects, and other frustrating experiences in the whole process.   

Suggestions on how to resolve?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Update - I successfully fixed this issue via Taxpayer Advocacy team - https://www.taxpayeradvocate.irs.gov/notices/notice-cp12/  or call [phone number removed]

After a grueling 5-6 hours of irritating answers, hang-ups, full calling queues, and more - I finally got the answer which ultimately was my main request.  After stepping through each line item of the Recovery Rebate Credit form, the Tax Advocacy agent acknowledged a mistake was made and fixed the issue on their side.  I'll receive the remainder of my expected return in a few weeks!

View solution in original post

1 Reply

Update - I successfully fixed this issue via Taxpayer Advocacy team - https://www.taxpayeradvocate.irs.gov/notices/notice-cp12/  or call [phone number removed]

After a grueling 5-6 hours of irritating answers, hang-ups, full calling queues, and more - I finally got the answer which ultimately was my main request.  After stepping through each line item of the Recovery Rebate Credit form, the Tax Advocacy agent acknowledged a mistake was made and fixed the issue on their side.  I'll receive the remainder of my expected return in a few weeks!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies