Why do I need an 8889 form?

baseballamy

Why do I need an 8889 form?

Since 2013 I have been on an HDHP Plan with an HSA through my employer. They contribute $800 per quarter and then I contribute variable amounts every pay period. TurboTax is now telling me that I need an 8889-T form to file my taxes, but I've never needed one before. Am I missing something? I keep reviewing my Healthcare info section and everything I've checked is accurate. Help please!
AmyT

Why do I need an 8889 form?

Form 8889 is required any year that your contribute to or withdraw from a Health Savings Account (HSA).  This is because the IRS is checking that:

• You have a qualifying High-Decuctible Health Plan (HDHP)
  • You and your employer have not contributed more than the maximum amount allowable during the year ($3,350 for an individual plan and $6,750 for a family plan; $1,000 additional may be contributed if you are 55 or older)
  • All distributions taken from the HSA were used for qualifying medical expenses.

Additionally, there may be a deduction available for any contributions that were not made on a pre-tax basis.