Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jmacygin

Why cant i get through line 4 on form 8862

i CAN'T FINISH MY RETURN BECAUSE IT SAYS LINE 4 ON FORM8862 NEEDS TO BE BLANK BUT I CANT CHANGE IT.  I AM A STUDENT AND LIVE WITH MY MOM.  I HAVE NO EXPENSES

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

10 Replies

WilliamV

Line 4 asks if you or your spouse (if filing jointly) could be claimed as a qualifying child of another taxpayer. If your answer to this question is no (you cannot claim the EIC if the answer to this question is yes), I can show you how to update this information so that the Line 4 boxes are blank: 

When logged into TurboTax Online: 

1.) Federal

2.) Deductions & Credits

3.) Click Show More next to You and Your Family

4.) Click Revisit next to Earned Income Credit

5.) When you get to Do any of these uncommon situations apply? review your answers

Has "I can be claimed as a qualifying child by someone elsebeen checked

If so, uncheck this box. This should clear out your response on Line 4 of your Form 8862 Information to Claim Certain Credits After Disallowance. 

If this does not resolve the problem, kindly let me know in the comments below so that we can continue troubleshooting. 

i’m having the same issue and this did not resolve the problem for me . any other solutions or suggestions ? 

VictoriaD75
Expert Alumni

In the My Info section of your return, have you indicated that you can be claimed as a dependent by someone else? Click Edit to the right of your name in My Info to review this area.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

This didn’t work, anything else maybe? 

Rather than trying to correct information on the lines in a form, go back to TurboTax Deductions and Credits and review the information that you have entered through the TurboTax interview.

Here are the Directions for Form 8862

If going through the above steps does not find the error, then delete the entry that is there and enter it again.

Go to Tax Tools in the left hand panel

Tools

Delete a Form
Delete both forms - Earned Income Credit Worksheet and Earned Income Worksheet

Then go through the screens again to add earned income.

JamesG1
Expert Alumni

If your Earned Income Credit (EIC) was disallowed in a previous tax year, you may need to file Form 8862 before the IRS allows you to use the credit again.

Question 4 is answered by your answer here.

• Down the left side of the screen, click on My Info.
  • At the screen Personal info summary, click on Edit to the right of your name(s).
  • The answer to Question 3 Someone else can claim me as a dependent on their tax return will answer question 4.

See this TurboTax Help.

I have the same problem. Line 4 asks if you or your spouse (if filing jointly) could be claimed as a qualifying child of another taxpayer. it keeps saying review. I am a full time student and my parents claimed me. so i have to say yes.

PatriciaV
Expert Alumni

Please clarify if you are trying to claim the Earned Income Credit or filing Form 8862.

@nyvikhari 

The turbo tax was guiding me for EIC, so even aftter many attemps , the error did not go away. So, I end of going to tool section and delete the file. After that , the review (error) message went away.  And now sussussfully efiled. Thank you so much for the guidance. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies