Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Where to Attach Business Deduction Proof (receipts, etc)

Hi guys! I paid estimated taxes over this last year as I'm self employed, I have business deductions I need to add (I was able to key them in) but my question is how do I attach my receipts, etc? I am using Turbo Tax Self Employed tax service, if anyone knows, I'd appreciate it 🙂 Thank you!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

11 Replies

You do not need to attach receipts (or other proof of your deductions) to your return.

If you are using TurboTax Full Service, contact your Expert.

See https://ttlc.intuit.com/turbotax-support/en-us/help-article/tax-expert/contact-full-service-expert/L...

That's amazing, thank you for the quick reply 🙂 I went to that link but I'm still a little confused, do I need to mail them in separately to the IRS? Or are you saying they just aren't necessary at all?

You do not need to send the receipts to the IRS.

If you were using TurboTax Full Service (where an Expert prepares your tax return), then you might need to send receipts to the Expert.

BUT...you do need to save them in your 2022 tax folder, for future proof when the IRS audits you..(maybe).

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

Oh I gotcha, thank you! 

Oh I'm ready, all documentation carefully organized 👍

Carl
Level 15

When e-filing your tax return you do not need to attach any 3rd party documents to your e-filed return. For example, W-2's, 1099's, 1098's, etc.) The IRS already has a record of those, as well as a record of any quarterly tax payments you made. However, you should always file your receipts and other proof of payments with your printed copy of the filed and accepted tax return. If the IRS needs you to provide proof of anything, they will request that proof by a formal letter you will receive in the mail from the IRS.

Okay, so Carl, you are saying that I can e-file just fine with no attached receipts, but just hold onto receipts with printed accepted return for future need if the IRS asks for it? I really just want to make sure I get that right and not mess up.

And yes, I understand that 3rd party documents don't need to be attached, I appreciate that reminder. For some reason it has been a hot minute since I have had any major business deductions, so I'm just unfamiliar with that particular process. 

Thank you!! 

@marie8 Just retain all of your receipts. If the IRS wants to review them, they will inform you.

You could not attach the receipts when you e-file even if you wanted to as TurboTax does not support such attachments.

Thank you for your help, will do. 👍

So grateful to this community 🙂

Pirko

Turbotax would help us if they added a feature so Turbotax customers could attach receipts and spreadsheets to the .tax2023 file. I keep those .tax files as my records. I could open the file and produce the receipts and spreadsheets if the IRS requested it. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies