To get the deduction, enter it under car registration fees by doing the following:
1. Log in to your account in TurboTax online program
2. Select Take me to my return
3. At the right upper corner, type in car registration fees and Enter
4. Select Jump to car registration fees
5. On screen, Did you pay any car registration fees in 2016? Answer Yes
6. Enter your vehicle information
The total amount of your registration fee is not deductible, just the portion that the state charged you for taxes based on the value of your vehicle.
Below is a list of states that charge a tax based on the vehicle’s value, if your vehicle is registered in a state that’s not listed, then your fees are not deductible-
· New Hampshire
· South Carolina
-If your vehicle is registered in a state that’s not listed, then your fees are not deductible.
-If you live in a state that doesn't tax the value of your car, but you paid car registration fees in a state that does, you may be able to get this deduction. Enter the amount you paid on the Vehicle Registration Fees screen.
-To find out more about your state’s vehicle registration deduction, contact your state’s Department of Motor Vehicles.
Still have questions?Make a post