turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cgrimes5

Where do I input Box 4 (Refund of overpaid interest) of Form 1098 Mortage Interest Statement?

I was entering my 1098 for my Mortgage Interest Statement and was not given the option to enter Box 4.  I received a Refund for overpaid interest and need to enter it in but don't know where to input it.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

Where do I input Box 4 (Refund of overpaid interest) of Form 1098 Mortage Interest Statement?

If you did not itemize (take mortgage interest deduction) you would do nothing as it does not need to be reported. 

If you did itemize, then it would be reported as Other Income on your return.

To do this:

• Click on Federal Taxes
  • Click on Wages and Income
  • Click on I'll choose what I work on
  • Scroll down to Less Common Income
  • On Miscellaneous Income click the start or update button
  • Go to bottom and go to Other Reportable Income and click start 
  • Say "yes"
  • Type in Box 4 1098 and put amount by your name

. It is a refund (or credit) for overpayment(s) of interest you made in a prior year or years. If you itemized deductions in the year(s) you paid the interest, you may have to include part or all of the box 4 amount on the “Other income” line of your 2016 Form 1040. No adjustment to your prior year(s) tax return(s) is necessary. For more information, see Pub. 936 and Itemized Deduction Recoveries in Pub. 525

How does this get reported for rental property?  The box 4 on Form 1098 is greyed out.   I am not able to enter negative expenses on Sch E and there is no place for miscellaneous income.  Do I just reduce the amount reported in Box 1 of the Form 1098?

RobertB4444
Expert Alumni

For rental property this is still miscellaneous income.  You can add it to the rent that you received.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies