Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

  • Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Your taxes, your way. Get expert help or do it yourself. >> Get started
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
New Member

Where do I enter my work related expenses?

Found this but it isn't accurate: "In the personal section select Deductions & Credits. Then scroll down to Employment Expenses, and you'll see "Job Related Expenses" under that"
1 Reply
New Member

Where do I enter my work related expenses?

You can enter in your job-related expenses using Form 2106 available for TurboTax Deluxe or higher.

Job-related expenses (Form 2106) are subject to the 2% rule and you must take the itemized deduction instead of the standard deduction. TurboTax automatically figures which deduction is going to give you the biggest tax break. This is not a refundable credit. You can deduct the amount that was not reimbursed to you.

To enter your job-related expenses please take the steps below.

  1. Sign into TurboTax Online
  2. Start your return if you have not yet or continue your return by click Taxes Tax Timeline > Take me to my return.
  3. Click on the Federal Taxes tab  (Personal depending on version) > Deductions & Credits sub-tab.
  4. Click to show all tax breaks.
  5. Scroll down until you see Employment Expenses and click Show More.
  6. Click Start next to Job Expenses for W-2 Income.
  7. Proceed through the interview to enter your job related expenses. 

If you are referring to expenses relating to your self-employment please see the following TurboTax FAQ.

About Community

Learn about taxes, budgeting, saving, borrowing, reducing debt, investing, and planning for retirement.



Manage cookies