Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

nance_2u

Where do i deduct home office expense if not self employed

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
LindaA
Expert Alumni

If you itemize deductions and meet the requirements, you may claim your home office expenses (for work you performed as an employee) as a job-related expense. An employee can only deduct these expenses if the home office is the principal place of business, is used regularly and exclusively for business, and is for the convenience of the employer

Note that job-related expenses are part of the miscellaneous expenses that are subject to the 2% rule. This means that you can only deduct the portion of these expenses that exceeds 2% of your adjusted gross income (AGI). 

To enter employee home office expenses in TurboTax:

• Continue working on your return in TurboTax Online. (If your return isn't open, you'll need to sign in, click Take me to my return.)
  • Click the drop-down arrow next to Tax Tools (lower left of your screen).
  • Select Tools.
  • In the pop-up window, select Topic Search.
  • In the I'm looking for: box, type 2106.
  • In the results box, highlight 2106, then click GO.
  • You'll land on the page that says Tell us about the occupation you have expenses for. Enter your occupation and click Continue
  • Continue following the onscreen instructions. Answer Yes when asked Did you have any home office expenses? TurboTax will then prompt you to enter information about your home office, including address, square footage, and expenses. 

Note: If using the TurboTax CD/Download software, you'll use the Find function (instead of "My Account") to search for the topic.

Please see the FAQ below for more information.

Can I take the home office deduction? https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3302005

[Edited 02.05.2018 I 01:09PM PST]

didn't this expire?

ToddL99
Expert Alumni

Yes, it did expire (for employees).

"Employees working from home can't take the home office deduction, even if you've been asked to work from home due to COVID-19. This has been in place since 2018, when the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act was signed into law. Prior to that, employees who worked from home at the convenience of their employer were allowed to deduct home office expenses under the 2% rule.

Can I take the home office deduction?

@ramsaro2 wrote:

didn't this expire?

This is an old post asking about 2018 tax.  It did not "expire" it was suspended for tax years 2019-2025 by the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies