Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Where do I deduct a payment from my employer that was a reimbursement to me in 2019

Where do I deduct a payment from my employer that was actually a reimbursement to me in 2019 for required malpractice insurance which I originally paid out of my pocket. The reimbursement which was paid to me was included under Wages, Tips, Other Compensation on the 2019 W-2. Now I am paying taxes on that amount which needs to be deducted from my income so I am not paying taxes on an amount which originally came from me.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

Where do I deduct a payment from my employer that was a reimbursement to me in 2019

Sorry, you can’t deduct work-related expenses if you are a W-2 worker.  Your employer may reimburse you tax-free if they to agree your ordinary and necessary work expenses, but they are not required to, unless that is part of your agreement or contract with them.  Your employer would have to issue a corrected W-2 that removes the reimbursement from your taxable income.  

Can I simply deduct that amount from the W-2 as I have documentation that this amount was a reimbursement?>

No.  As long as the employer is treating it as taxable income that’s what it is.  W-2 employees have no recourse to deduct work related expenses since 2018 tax reform, and even before, the deduction was limited and not very useful for most people.  

Not the answer I was hoping for, but "it is what it is!" (I dislike that expression...)

Well thanks very much for your help.  You truly are a champ.

Have a great remainder of the Weekend, Opus17.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies