turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

lshelnut

We installed energy efficient windows throughout my whole home, is there a tax credit for this?

We had our house wrapped in new vinyl siding, we also had need energy efficient windows installed throughout the whole house and had a new roof put on, is any of this qualify for a tax credit?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
SandraM

We installed energy efficient windows throughout my whole home, is there a tax credit for this?

Yes!  The following that qualify are the energy efficient windows and certain roofing materials. Please review the following list of home improvements that would qualify:

Nonbusiness Energy Property Tax Credit

Equipment and materials can qualify for the Nonbusiness Energy Property Credit only if they meet technical efficiency standards set by the Department of Energy. The manufacturer can tell you whether a particular item meets those standards. For this credit, the IRS distinguishes between two kinds of upgrades.

The first is "qualified energy efficiency improvements," and it includes the following:
  • Home insulation
  • Exterior doors
  • Exterior windows and skylights
  • Certain roofing materials
The second category is "residential energy property costs." It includes:
  • Electric heat pumps
  • Electric heat pump water heaters
  • Central air conditioning systems
  • Natural gas, propane or oil water heaters
  • Stoves that use biomass fuel
  • Natural gas, propane or oil furnaces
  • Natural gas, propane or oil hot water boilers
  • Advanced circulating fans for natural gas, propane or oil furnaces

Details of nonbusiness tax credit

You can claim a tax credit for 10% of the cost of qualified energy efficiency improvements and 100% of residential energy property costs. However, significant limits apply:

• This credit is worth a maximum of $500 for all years combined, from 2006 to the present.
  • Of that combined $500 limit, a maximum of $200 can be for windows.
  • The maximum tax credit for a furnace circulating fan is $50.
  • The maximum credit for a furnace or boiler is $150.
  • The maximum credit for any other single residential energy property cost is $300.

[Edited 2.18.18|12:16 PM]

View solution in original post

4 Replies
SandraM

Yes!  The following that qualify are the energy efficient windows and certain roofing materials. Please review the following list of home improvements that would qualify:

Nonbusiness Energy Property Tax Credit

Equipment and materials can qualify for the Nonbusiness Energy Property Credit only if they meet technical efficiency standards set by the Department of Energy. The manufacturer can tell you whether a particular item meets those standards. For this credit, the IRS distinguishes between two kinds of upgrades.

The first is "qualified energy efficiency improvements," and it includes the following:
  • Home insulation
  • Exterior doors
  • Exterior windows and skylights
  • Certain roofing materials
The second category is "residential energy property costs." It includes:
  • Electric heat pumps
  • Electric heat pump water heaters
  • Central air conditioning systems
  • Natural gas, propane or oil water heaters
  • Stoves that use biomass fuel
  • Natural gas, propane or oil furnaces
  • Natural gas, propane or oil hot water boilers
  • Advanced circulating fans for natural gas, propane or oil furnaces

Details of nonbusiness tax credit

You can claim a tax credit for 10% of the cost of qualified energy efficiency improvements and 100% of residential energy property costs. However, significant limits apply:

• This credit is worth a maximum of $500 for all years combined, from 2006 to the present.
  • Of that combined $500 limit, a maximum of $200 can be for windows.
  • The maximum tax credit for a furnace circulating fan is $50.
  • The maximum credit for a furnace or boiler is $150.
  • The maximum credit for any other single residential energy property cost is $300.

[Edited 2.18.18|12:16 PM]

jflister

when will Turbotax update it's Form 5695 to reflect the new nonbusiness tax credit for tax year 2017?  Right now I am only being prompted with questions related to solar efficiency.

I have the same question -- I'm waiting to file as soon as Tax updates.

Hello, I don't see that the software has been updated for 2018.  I am only being asked about solar and wind, nothing about windows, doors, insulation, etc.  Do you have an ETA for when the software will be updated?
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies