turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

When I input that I had a self only High Ded Health Plan along with my Hearth Savings account in Deductions it drops my refund?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies
ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

When I input that I had a self only High Ded Health Plan along with my Hearth Savings account in Deductions it drops my refund?

That might be because you over-funded the plan. You are only allowed to contribute $3,500 per year ($4,500 if over 55) to an single HSA plan. If you contribute more, you are subject to a penalty. You could withdraw the excess contribution by the due date of your tax return to avoid the penalty however.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Sorry for the delay Thomas, I had not seen that you answered the question.  I don't think that is it.  I put less than $3000 into the account last year.  

VictoriaD75
Expert Alumni

Double check your entries. It is possible you entered the HSA contribution more than once, and it is considered an excess contribution. 

The most common error I see when entering HSA contributions are double reporting. Typically, these payroll contributions are reported on your W-2 in box 12 with code W. If that is the case, no other contribution needs to be reported in the software.

Under the Deductions & Credits menu, confirm the following:

• Expand the menu for Medical
  • Click Start/Revisit next to HSA, MSA Contributions
  • Confirm the account ownership and click Continue
  • Continue in through the screens until you reach Let's enter your HSA contributions
  • Stop here. If all of your contributions were through payroll deductions and reported on your W2, do not enter anything on this screen. If that is the case, either leave the box empty or type $0 in the box next to Any contributions you personally made

Also, verify that you indicated that you participated in an HDHP. If not, the contribution will be "disallowed" and taxable as an excess contribution.

Thank you GloriaD75.  That is what I did.  I went in and tried again and still no luck.  When I originally entered the information it dropped my refund when I got to the point where I marked that I DID participate in a HDHP all year, that is what I thought was so odd.   

As an experiment I just made the selection for "no, I did not have coverage" and the refund shot back up.  I must still be doing something wrong.

AnnetteB6
Expert Alumni

This may be a silly question, but are you sure you are seeing a change in a refund and not a change in a balance due?  The situation you described is opposite of what would normally be expected.  

@erik-p-johnson

Ha!  Problem solved.  You are 100% right, I was not paying close enough attention.  I reduced what I owe.  Happy for that :-).   Thank you so much for your help! 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies