turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

amc1234

What property taxes can I claim from the sale of one house and purchase of a new house?

I owned a home last year  (2016) until Dec. 12.  I'm wanting to know exactly what I can claim/deduct on my taxes this year from the sale of my old home and the purchase of a new one.

I also paid my entire tax bill due in 2016 (half in June 2016, half in September 2016).  I'm assuming I claim that amount on my taxes this year, but not sure what (if any) amount from the closing of the houses I bought/sold I can also claim.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Fern

What property taxes can I claim from the sale of one house and purchase of a new house?

You can deduct real estate taxes paid in 2016 on your 2016 tax return (the June and September payments).  You can also deduct real estate taxes paid at closing if you are the seller.

For the home you purchased, you can deduct real estate taxes that you paid at closing if those taxes were actually sent to the taxing authority.  If the amount paid was placed in escrow with your mortgage holder, you cannot deduct them until the year they are sent to the taxing authority.

See https://www.irs.gov/publications/p530/ar02.html for more information.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Fern

You can deduct real estate taxes paid in 2016 on your 2016 tax return (the June and September payments).  You can also deduct real estate taxes paid at closing if you are the seller.

For the home you purchased, you can deduct real estate taxes that you paid at closing if those taxes were actually sent to the taxing authority.  If the amount paid was placed in escrow with your mortgage holder, you cannot deduct them until the year they are sent to the taxing authority.

See https://www.irs.gov/publications/p530/ar02.html for more information.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies