turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

reidfam6

What letter code do I enter on box 14 for a health insurance premium?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
ToddL

If you don't see a code for a Box 14 entry on your Form W-2 (or if none of the drop-down code options apply), scroll to the bottom of the list and choose Other–not on above list. Don’t worry. We'll figure out if it impacts your return or not.

See additional information at: What is Box 14 on my W-2 for?

The information that your employer lists in Box 14 of your W-2 does not usually affect your income tax return. In fact, for many Box 14 entries, the IRS does not even provide a place for it to get reported on your return forms. They are reported to you in Box 14 simply for informational purposes.

jake_D

The previous answer submitted was not very helpful. It was exactly what intuit said while i was filling out my taxes. The very next step insists that i must fill in the category. 

Any further clarifications here?

KrisD15
Employee Tax Expert

Box 14 is used by your payroll department, just about anything can be entered here, which makes it very confusing for tax Software. 

TurboTax should not complain if you choose the last option on the drop-down list "Other (not classified)"

Box 14 is not normally used for reporting Health Insurance Premiums. That would be something reported in Box 12 perhaps. 

Since there are no set rules for Box 14, you might check with your payroll department and ask if it is anything you should be concerned with. 

If TurboTax is showing an error for that box, and choosing the last option from the drop-down does not remedy the error, AND you are sure it is reporting Health Insurance Premiums, leave Box 14 blank. 

If the premiums were taken out of your pay, report the amount as a Medical expense under Deductions & Credits if you intend to Itemize Deductions. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies