turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

takacedon

I had to repay my tuition reimbursement for 2017. Can I deduct that under job expenses since it was related to my work?

I participated in an employer tuition reimbursement program for 2017. I would have to pay the school first and then request reimbursement after the course completed. I left the employer before the accepted time for reimbursement forgiveness. Therefore they withheld the funds from my final paycheck. Am I allowed to deduct this under my job related education expenses? I do not qualify for education credit. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MarilynG
Expert Alumni

I had to repay my tuition reimbursement for 2017. Can I deduct that under job expenses since it was related to my work?

If you paid Education Expenses in 2017 yourself, then were reimbursed in 2017 and had to pay back the reimbursement in 2017, basically you paid the Education Expenses.

You could enter your tuition, books, fees, etc. into TurboTax.  You don't have to have a 1098-T in order to do this; just save documentation of what you paid. 

If you weren't in a degree program, you might still be eligible for a Lifetime Learning Credit. 

Here's some info about the Lifetime Learning Credit

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

2 Replies
MarilynG
Expert Alumni

If you paid Education Expenses in 2017 yourself, then were reimbursed in 2017 and had to pay back the reimbursement in 2017, basically you paid the Education Expenses.

You could enter your tuition, books, fees, etc. into TurboTax.  You don't have to have a 1098-T in order to do this; just save documentation of what you paid. 

If you weren't in a degree program, you might still be eligible for a Lifetime Learning Credit. 

Here's some info about the Lifetime Learning Credit

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
smilli3

What if your income in the W2 is reflecting they paid you the reimbursement, even though you paid it back.  How do I address this in turbotax?
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies