Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

rkgarner

Do I include sales tax and fees in the original cost of a car I bought using my old as a trade in? Do I subtract the trade in value?

Original cost $12,544

Trade in $5995

Is the original cost $12,544 or do I deduct the trade in value and do I include sales tax and other fees?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DS30

Do I include sales tax and fees in the original cost of a car I bought using my old as a trade in? Do I subtract the trade in value?

Yes you include all costs necessary to acquire the car (this would include any sales taxes or fees) in the basis of your new car. You then decrease the basis in the new car by the value of the trade-in. So the ending basis in your car is the original cost (including sales tax and fees) less the value of your trade-in.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
DS30

Yes you include all costs necessary to acquire the car (this would include any sales taxes or fees) in the basis of your new car. You then decrease the basis in the new car by the value of the trade-in. So the ending basis in your car is the original cost (including sales tax and fees) less the value of your trade-in.

happyme

What if the old car had negative equity and u had to add that to new vehicle
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies