turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

mpierc77

What documentation do I need to prove alimony payments that I paid in 2016 so that I can deduct it? Also, do I need to send a form to the person I have paid showing the amount?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
JaimeG

What documentation do I need to prove alimony payments that I paid in 2016 so that I can deduct it? Also, do I need to send a form to the person I have paid showing the amount?

FOR TAX YEAR 2016

Generally, a taxpayer can deduct the required alimony payments to a former spouse, or to a third party on behalf of that spouse under a divorce or separation instrument, such as a divorce decree or a written agreement incident thereto. You do not need to send any sort of form the individual receiving he Alimony but it is always recommended to touch-base and reconcile Dollar Amounts to avoid discrepancies in the Tax Return.

Please remember,Taxpayers must provide the Social Security number(SSN) or IRS individual taxpayer identification number (ITIN) of the recipient spouse on the tax return. If the former spouse’s SSN or ITIN is not included, the taxpayer may have to pay a $50 penalty and the deduction may be disallowed. If the recipient spouse does not give the person who paid the alimony his SSN or ITIN, he may have to pay a $50 penalty.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
JaimeG

FOR TAX YEAR 2016

Generally, a taxpayer can deduct the required alimony payments to a former spouse, or to a third party on behalf of that spouse under a divorce or separation instrument, such as a divorce decree or a written agreement incident thereto. You do not need to send any sort of form the individual receiving he Alimony but it is always recommended to touch-base and reconcile Dollar Amounts to avoid discrepancies in the Tax Return.

Please remember,Taxpayers must provide the Social Security number(SSN) or IRS individual taxpayer identification number (ITIN) of the recipient spouse on the tax return. If the former spouse’s SSN or ITIN is not included, the taxpayer may have to pay a $50 penalty and the deduction may be disallowed. If the recipient spouse does not give the person who paid the alimony his SSN or ITIN, he may have to pay a $50 penalty.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies