Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

What can I use instead of ItsDeductible?

I got a note saying ItsDeductible will be decommissioned, and I don't think Mint is a good fit. What else can I use to track donations?
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

10 Replies

I have always just used an EXCEL Spreadsheet.

Can't import the data from that though, and I just enter it manually. Once you've entered the charities you use each year, they carry-over to the next year's software, so you just have to enter the $$ amounts for the next year, and add any new charities you might have donated to.  TTX hasn't indicated that they would support the import of data from any other charity tracking software yet....(if any exists).

Don't know what the MINT import capabilities are for donations though...never used it.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

The biggest problem with Itsdeductible has always been its valuations; they are not transparent, there's no way to know how a value was determined of if the value is appropriate to your item in your sales market.

I would simply keep separate track.  You always need your own independent inventory of your non-cash donations, that includes the date and place donated, the condition, and the approximate value.   Keeping a list on paper or a computer is no more work than typing the list into ItsDeductible.  Get your values from local prices--go shopping in the Salvation Army store to see what they charge for similar items to what you are donating.  That's the best proof of the value of your donations.

Then at tax time, you never need to itemize each donation, you can group them together by date and charity.  You can report "used household items" with a combined value, and you don't need any other information on your tax return, as long as you have the detailed records separately in case of audit.

You can also try the Goodwill website.

@SweetieJean wrote:

You can also try the Goodwill website.

A local site, ok, a national site is not at good.  There was at least one taxpayer who posted to this forum some time ago that they were being audited and the examiner would not accept that nationwide Its-Deductible values were fair values for that taxpayer's local area.  The same objection would apply to any other national valuation.  In other words, since most used clothing and household items are sold at local  thrift stores, local thrift stores are probably the best source of fair market prices.  

Hey Champ:  It is obvious that you do not use ItsDeductible to its full capacity.  It's only a click of a button, not hours of spreadsheets - that's a little outdated, wouldn't you say for this time era?

Champ:  Get a grip, it's only estimates anyway-so now you are nitpicking on location?  I think ItsDeductible did an EXCELLENT job of stating values.  And, hopefully, they will reconsider and come out with something better and more computerized instead of this spreadsheet and hours checking charities for 'value'.  

I got a note saying ItsDeductible will be decommissioned, and I don't think Mint is a good fit. What else can I use to track donations?

there's Quicken (no longer owned by Intuit)  but it won't provide valuations and isn't really good for non-cash contributions

there's Excel where you can enter the data any way you want but it's probably not importable into Turbotax.

Excel costs.  the is a free spreadsheet program from Open Office Org but probably like Excel not importable.

nitpicking on location

Actually, the IRS Auditors are doing that, as more than one user has posted.

rczerwin

i tried https://www2.charitydeductions.com/login - it`s $29.95 per year - so far, so good!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies