turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

dicktax64

What can I deduct when selling a condo and purchasing another condo of higher value? - I did not do a like kind property exchange at the time (April 2018)

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Coleen3
Intuit Alumni

What can I deduct when selling a condo and purchasing another condo of higher value? - I did not do a like kind property exchange at the time (April 2018)

The fact that you purchased another condo has no effect on the sale of the first.

Assuming this is a rental, (there is no like-kind exchange for personal property) you would report the purchase price minus depreciation, plus improvements to get the basis. You would contrast that to the sales price and expenses of sale. You would realize gain or loss. Your gain would be taxable.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Coleen3
Intuit Alumni

The fact that you purchased another condo has no effect on the sale of the first.

Assuming this is a rental, (there is no like-kind exchange for personal property) you would report the purchase price minus depreciation, plus improvements to get the basis. You would contrast that to the sales price and expenses of sale. You would realize gain or loss. Your gain would be taxable.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies