Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

zman9958

We just received 100,000 due to my mother passing. I am wondering if and where this needs to be listed on either state or federal tax sheet?

We are told this was tax free because of the way she had this set up at the banks.

Will we need to place this on the state of Wisconsin tax forms?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

We just received 100,000 due to my mother passing. I am wondering if and where this needs to be listed on either state or federal tax sheet?

Generally, inherited property (including cash, stocks, and real estate) is not taxable or reportable on a personal1040 federal return.

However, any income earned from an inheritance such as interest, dividends, rent or capital gains will be taxable.

An inheritance will be taxable if you inherit an IRA, 401(k) or other retirement account and receive a distribution in which case you will receive a 1099-R form that should be entered on the 1040 return

If you received taxable income from the estate, you should have received a Schedule K-1 from the executor or administrator of the estate. If so, see the below link for instructions to enter on your return.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/4099920-where-do-i-show-disbursement-from-a-will

Only a handful of states (Iowa, Kentucky, Maryland, Nebraska, New Jersey and Pennsylvania) have some kind of inheritance tax. Refer to your state's Department of Revenue to see what the requirements are for filing inheritance tax.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

Generally, inherited property (including cash, stocks, and real estate) is not taxable or reportable on a personal1040 federal return.

However, any income earned from an inheritance such as interest, dividends, rent or capital gains will be taxable.

An inheritance will be taxable if you inherit an IRA, 401(k) or other retirement account and receive a distribution in which case you will receive a 1099-R form that should be entered on the 1040 return

If you received taxable income from the estate, you should have received a Schedule K-1 from the executor or administrator of the estate. If so, see the below link for instructions to enter on your return.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/4099920-where-do-i-show-disbursement-from-a-will

Only a handful of states (Iowa, Kentucky, Maryland, Nebraska, New Jersey and Pennsylvania) have some kind of inheritance tax. Refer to your state's Department of Revenue to see what the requirements are for filing inheritance tax.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies