Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

W-4

Hi I started a new job almost a month ago and I did. My w-4 online and filed as head of household. I haven’t seen any deductions from federal Income? Is there a reason why? Also I have 3 dependents but I have 0 in state and std W\H table on federal? Why is that

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
RobertG
Expert Alumni

W-4

The amount of your withholding depends on your income and the number of deductions you claim.

I would first check with your employer to make sure they have your W-2 and are using it to figure your withholding.

You can check to see how much should be withheld by referring to the Federal withholding tables, Publication 15-T

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

W-4

"I did. My w-4 online "

Did you actually give that W-4 to your employer?  If you did not give it to the employer, it has no effect.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

W-4

If you are filing as head of household with three dependents, you will not owe any federal income tax until your income is somewhere over $55,000 per year.***   So if you fill out the W-4 showing HOH and 3 dependents, you would not expect to have any federal withholding unless your gross taxable income was more than $1000 per week.

*** this is a rough calculation based on the following. $55,000 -$18,000 standard deduction equals $37,000. At 15% income tax, the tax due is $5550.  You will get a $6000 tax credit for your three dependents, meaning you owe no federal income tax.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies