Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

marcshima
Returning Member

Unable to input Alimony Paid

I am unable to input recipient, recipient ssn, or amount of alimony paid..keyboard  seems to lock up..I try another page and keyboard works fine. I uninstalled and reinstalled Turbo tax but it is still doing the sane thing. What am I missing? any inout would be appreciated.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

14 Replies
ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

The alimony rules regarding taxability and deductibility were changed beginning January 1, 2019. Maybe your divorce was after that, in which case you do not report it on your tax return.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
marcshima
Returning Member

My divorce was in 2015 so that should not be an issue.. it won’t let me insert a date to even allow the computer to input an amount.. not sure if that is a software glitch.. I have used turbo tax the last 5 years without a hitch.. maybe someone from the software side can weigh in on a possible issue.. thanks for your response.

AkinaLO
Intuit Alumni

Was the issue when you were inputting the social security number? Because there is an email notification list for those that are having issues with the social security for the alimony that was paid. Please see below.

Why am I not able to enter my social security number when entering the alimony that was paid?

marcshima
Returning Member

I imported the info from last years return ( ssn#, ex wife’s name)..but it did not allow me to input amount paid.. i edited and deleted her info thinking I could add her again to resolve the issue but now I cannot even add her back ..it will not allow me to type a name or ss#.

JoannaB2
Expert Alumni

Yes, alimony paid is deductible.  Your divorce decree under written agreement was modified on December 31,2018 and was no konger deductible thereafter.  Below are steps to enter alimony paid in Turbo Tax.

• Login to your Turbo Tax account.
  • Under Deductions and Credits, scroll all the way down until you get to Other Deductions and Credits.
  • Click show more next to Other Deductions and Credits.
  • Scroll down until you get to Alimoly paid, then click revisit.
  • After clicking revisit, you must answer the question "Did you pay alimony in 2020 (if this a 2020 return)".
  • You need answer "Yes" to take you to the next scren, "How much alimony did you pay in 2020?".
  • Enter all the information, then click continue.
  • The next screen will say "Here's your recipient info"
  • Click done.

See, can I deduct almony paid, link for additional infornation,

Same problem other users;  Divorce was 1982 and not modified. Previous years, no problem.  This year loaded recipient and info but TT won't allow entry of alimony amount.

FangxiaL
Expert Alumni

Try these steps to enter alimony paid:

1. Open or continue with your return
  2. Click on Show more next to Other Deductions and Credits under the Deductions & Credits section
  3. Click on Start or Revisit next to Alimony Paid 
  4. Answer the questions and enter the amount paid on the screens that follow. 

@ptc7770

Unfortunately , your Instructions do not apply.  I'm using TT Premier:

A. there is no Show More next to Other Deductions;

B. No Start or Revisit next to Alimony Paid.

C. What does appear is Update.

D. Clicking on Update brings up last year's data; the amount paid  shows $0 but the program will not allow any updated entry. And no re-check brings up Revisit.

E. Obviously a software issue.

AamilD
Expert Alumni

@ptc7770

Adding to what FangxiaL stated above. I have added an image below for further reference.

Thank you, but your image bears  no relation to what appears on my screen as I indicated in the previous message.  I am not using anything that is labelled  Self Employed as your image has it.  Please take a look at the screens in     Premier.  The screens appear as I described them. And only the Amount is blued out when I try to enter the current number.

ErnieS0
Expert Alumni

If I understand correctly, you are using TurboTax CD/Download Premier and want to enter alimony paid.

1. Tap Forms in the upper right next to Flags
  2. Select 1040/1040SR Wks
  3. Go to Page 5 and find the Alimony Paid Smart Worksheet between lines 18 and 19a.
  4. Enter Alimony paid
  5. Tap Step-by-Step where Forms used to be to get back to the interview mode

Thank you, thank you.  I've used TT for 20 years at least and never had a problem or question I couldn't solve until now.  I'm embarrassed to say I hadn't got to the 1040 worksheet. You just saved us $3000 . Thanks again.

rigidcfl1

I do not have my wife social security number we are legally separate.

@rigidcfl1 wrote:

I do not have my wife social security number we are legally separate.

If the separation decree was signed after 12/31/2018 then spousal support/alimony is not entered on a tax return.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies