Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the Refund! >> Event happening NOW!!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

JohnW222
Expert Alumni

Unable to e-file: QBI Passive Carryforward error?

Currently, Form 8995-A has an expected availability date of February 20, 2020.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
rwl1946

On my W-2 from United of Omaha Life Insurance Company, e-file states I need a figure in Box 10 which on my W-2 shows no amount.. What am I suppose to use to complete my E-fining..

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

Did you import the form or enter manually? Did your employer pay you dependent care benefits?  You might try deleting W2 and then manually enter the form back into the program.  See if that error message clears when you attempt to efile.

ozasp11
Returning Member

Still not working.  ANy updates?

So it is now February 25, and the QBI problem has not been fixed.  Turbotax took my money for the state filing, but I can't efile because of this QBI "problem".  I don't have any QBI limitations.  When is Turbo Tax going to fix this?

It is February 25 and I still can't efile because of this QBI problem.  When is this going to be fixed?

TerukoL
Intuit Alumni

Are you using TurboTax Deluxe?

Please try to update the software because sometimes a manual update is needed.

If you continue to have problems, please click here for What is the TurboTax phone number, pick the version of TurboTax you are using and let the agent know that you need a push for the new software.

Then you will need to delete the form that generates QBI. Usually, it's Schedule K-1 or 1099-DIV. 

sss5

I am using TT Premier and have already paid for the services, now its telling me I can't efile.  This form is available on the federal website, what is the issue here and why did I already pay for TT without it telling me there was going to be a problem??  This seems like a TT issue that needs to be fixed asap.  IN addition I now can't file and get the discount because its not working correctly. 

I believe you are wrong.  Turbo tax does not support the QBI schedule B for aggregating businesses.  And the inability to have Turbo tax support means that you cannot efile.  You must file by mail, which is very inconvenient, totally unexpected, and delays receipt of the tax return, refund etc. by MONTHS, and affects state filing as well.  Although I mailed my return April 20 after being told Turbo tax does not support the QBI, after being told twice that it did and to wait for it--wasted 2 weeks--the result being that my refund is delayed, and despite sending my return by mail with tracking, here is is over 9 days later and the state says they have not received my return.  So Turbo Tax, you really were very unhelpful. 

DavidS127
Expert Alumni

If you want or need to aggregate any businesses, as of this morning 3/3/2020 the return is still print and mail only in TurboTax.  My understanding is that TurboTax is working with the IRS to enable e-file for aggregated QBI businesses and the QBI netting/carryforward worksheet.

You'll need to decide whether or not you want or need to aggregate any businesses in 2019.  Once you aggregate, you must continue to aggregate in future years.  But, not aggregating last year does not preclude you from aggregating this year.    Refer to the IRS instructions for Form 8995-A for more information on aggregation.

If you do not need or want to aggregate any businesses, here is how to “un-aggregate” them in TurboTax Online or TurboTax Download/CD:

1. Go to Delete a Form: In the left menu, select the dropdown arrow next to Tax Tools and then under that select Tools; in the pop-up window Tool Center, choose Delete a form.
  2. Find the QBI Component form for the aggregated businesses.  Delete that QBI Component sheet.
  3. Now, go to Review and start the review routine.
  4. You will have an error for each business that no longer has a QBI Component form.  For each of those businesses, you will see the “primary” form for that business (Schedule C, Schedule E, K-1). It will be highlighted for Question A in the Qualified Business Income Deduction Smart Worksheet.
  5. Double click in the highlighted Question A box, and you will get a pop-up asking you to link to a QBI component worksheetCreate a new copy for that business (e.g., give it the name of that business).
  6. Continue until you have created a separate QBI component worksheet for each business that you do not want to aggregate.

Note that you could also use these instructions to aggregate businesses.  Delete the QBI component worksheets for each business you want to aggregate, go to the Review, and link all the businesses to the same QBI component worksheet.  But, you will not be able to e-file your tax return and must print and mail the return.

chm2

When will this Error be fixed? 

ToFeNu

On TurboTax Premier and this process seems to have worked for me.  Maybe I'm wrong, but it looks like it was just the aggregate QBI component form that was stopping the e-filing.

I also checked on 2018 forms and there was no aggregate QBI component form there either (and I had no issues filing last year).

Thanks for the detailed instructions DavidS127.

DavidS127
Expert Alumni

Yes, QBI business aggregated on Schedule B of Form 8995-A cannot be e-filed until the TurboTax update scheduled on or about 4/1/2020.

gr8sewr
Returning Member

Form 8995 shows as available for efile on the IRS website, why do I have to still paper mail my returns-both Feds and California??  Please advise if I will be able to efile at all this year??

You are right, the QBI form 8995 should be available to e-file on both the Federal and State side.

Federal form availability

State form availability

It's possible that there's an issue with the Schedule E Worksheet (property address): QBI Passive Carryforward. There may be one or more disallowed/suspended loss values on this Form/Worksheet (although this field may be blank).  They may not be fully supported by the program, and the return just has to be mailed, unfortunately.  Sometimes returns can't be efiled.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies