Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the W-4! >> Event happening TOMORROW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

TurboTax says I can open a traditional Ira for $7000 this year...I don't think this is correct

Good Morning All
I am self-employed in primarily a wedding based business, and although I did some business during both 2020 and 2021, I also collected unemployment insurance.

Self Employment
On my Schedule C I'm reporting gross sales of $27,647, and an additional $1348 was reported as 1099 Non-employee wages, so my gross revenue was $28,995.

After deduction all of the common expenses, including depreciation, I came down to a tentative profit of $2570, which was absorbed by my home office deduction.

Unemployment Insurance
I received $14,659 as reported on a 1099 G Form

Since Traditional IRA contributions must be from active income - wages, profit from business, etc, I was surprised when TurboTax indicated I could open a $7000 IRA for 2021 based on this income (I'm 63 years old)
and I'm not sure it's correct.  It'll be a much bigger problem if I open the IRA and have it disallowed later.

Would appreciate any clarification.

Thank you.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
AmyC
Expert Alumni

TurboTax says I can open a traditional Ira for $7000 this year...I don't think this is correct

You do qualify. Publication 590-A, Contributions to Individual Retirement Arrangements (IRAs) states:

Self-employment income.

If you are self-employed (a sole proprietor or a partner), compensation is the net earnings from your trade or business (provided your personal services are a material income-producing factor) reduced by the total of:

The deduction for contributions made on your behalf to retirement plans, and

The deduction allowed for the deductible part of your self-employment taxes.

Compensation includes earnings from self-employment even if they aren’t subject to self-employment tax because of your religious beliefs.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

2 Replies
AmyC
Expert Alumni

You do qualify. Publication 590-A, Contributions to Individual Retirement Arrangements (IRAs) states:

Self-employment income.

If you are self-employed (a sole proprietor or a partner), compensation is the net earnings from your trade or business (provided your personal services are a material income-producing factor) reduced by the total of:

The deduction for contributions made on your behalf to retirement plans, and

The deduction allowed for the deductible part of your self-employment taxes.

Compensation includes earnings from self-employment even if they aren’t subject to self-employment tax because of your religious beliefs.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thanks so very much for taking the time to answer my question!

Best to you!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies