turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

u2monica

TurboTax Premier (mac) unable to import Its Deductible. Immediately fails with "There was a connection problem".

TurboTax Premier (Mac) fails to import Its Deductible info.

The first attempt failed but I don't recall the message (but I know there was no option to enter a user/pass).  With that message, the only thing I could do was click Allow or Deny.  Allow immediately returned to the same message.  So, then I clicked Deny.

Now, all attempts to import return a message saying that there was a connection problem.  See attached screenshot.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

20 Replies

TurboTax Premier (mac) unable to import Its Deductible. Immediately fails with "There was a connection problem".

Did it eventually work for you?

I have the same problem.  Called the 1-800 TurboTax support number listed.  Representative had me uninstall TurboTax Premier and then reinstall it.  Same problem.  She then asked if she could transfer me to a technical representative.  Sent to a new customer service line with 33 minute hold time.

Did additional research via Google.  Here's what I did to successfully resolve this issue and upload Its Deductible info to TurboTax Premier '17.  

I removed the Intuit session tokens that are stored in my Mac Keychain.  [Note: If you have a password protected tax return, be sure that you remember the password that was used while saving your tax return.]

I reset the Intuit ID keychains:

1) Quit TurboTax Mac application.
2) Navigate to /Applications/Utilities directory and launch "Keychain Access" application. Type "intuit id" text in Search box located at top right corner.
3) Deleted all search results for "Intuit ID" where "application password" was listed in the"Kind" column
4) Restarted Mac
5) Opened tax return and navigated to the "Do you have an Account with ItsDeductible Online?" prompt Charitable and selected "Yes."
6) This time it prompted me for the ItsDeductible user ID (or email) as well as password...and it then uploaded all my It’s Deductible Online entries just like the good old days!

Shout out to L1Swuqg6X who provide the core information to resolve.

[Footnote: Resolved faster than TurboTax Tech support wait queue calling me back.  😉
nzinaman

YES!!!! it is FIXED!
BUT... here's my experience.
 Called the 1-800 TurboTax support number listed.  Representative had me uninstall TurboTax Premier and then reinstall it.  Same problem.  She then asked if she could transfer me to a technical representative.  Sent to a new customer service line. Left message so they would call me back. They never called back.  Called again the next day. Finally spoke with someone, and after 45 minutes, they realized that they could not help me.  Help line said that this might not be fixed before taxes are due, so I took the totals from Its Deductible and entered them myself.  
A few days later, I tried again and it imported everything (so I deleted what I had entered)
HOORAY!!

THANK YOU FOR THIS HELPFUL POST! Simple and saved me much frustration!
u2monica

Yes, the instructions from Bummed TTuser fixed the problem for me.  I had first tried to delete keychain stuff that had either itsdeductible or turbotax.  But, that didn't help.  What did help was searching my keychain for intuit (and deleting the entries).  After that, TurboTax prompted for my username/password and the import was successful.
mclay2003

Nice help Bummed TTuser!
DocC
Level 1

The problem is not with Apple Safari, the problem is this is the 1st year that Intuit TurboTax is trying to use (see attached picture) the Safari "keychain" to access your password and then access ItsDeductable.
It is not Safari asking the question, it is "TurbTax Deluxe 2017 wanting to user your confidential information". The very idea that Intuit code is requesting access to your Safari "keychain" should be sending up all kinds of security flags. "Danger - Danger Will Robinson"
Yet, Intuit is blaming the problem on Apple's Safari program, for not giving up your password, simply because it is an invasion of your privacy.
This solution addresses the fact that Apple's Safari and associated "keychain" refuses to surrender access to the website accounts and your pass-word. The issue is that Intuit change the site access your used in 2016, which is the website in your Safari "keychain". I do not recommend you fixing this.
- Issue #1: SECURITY flag-up on this as it gives TurboTax software total access to your Safari "keychain" and all website user names and passwords., not just that of Intuit's ItsDeductable. Are you willing to give up total access to all your banks, credit cards, investments, etc. websites.
- Issue#2: Access to ItsDeductable was done in the past by routing the use to Intuit ItsDeductable login site. There you entered your username and password.
Possible solutions:
- Solution #1: Restore the website login procedure. Or going to ItsDeductable and exporting a secure file format to your local drive, which could then be read by Turbotax. Problem solved.
- Solution #2: Go to the ItsDeductable website and save all your files to PDF format. Then ignore the ItsDeductable download procedure and use the PDF files to 'manually' load the Deductible information.
My answer is that if Intuit does not fix this problem, then after using the product for about 40 yrs, I will switch over to a competitor product next year.
In a security sensitive world today, this was the dumbest programing stunt I have ever seen, and I am a professional computer scientist.

Same for me. So frustrating.

I've used Its Deductible for more than ten years and it has always been a simple process to upload the information to TurboTax.  There is currently no straight-forward answer to this issue online, and the 1-800 TurboTax support line didn't know how to answer.  Waiting for a callback from Technical Support.

Help line said there may not be a fix before taxes are due.  So I just took the totals from Its Deductible and entered into TT.  Then printed the details from Its Deductible.  Not sure if I need to attach to my return or just keep in my file for backup documentation.  Hope they get it fixed by next year!!!
annette1

I have used TT for many many years.  Each year gets more difficult.  I can no longer load stocks, etc directly into Schedule D.  Now I can't download its deductible into my desktop TT. No I will not give Intuit access to my keychain.  This is the dumbest thing I have seen.  Next year -- someone else's software, Not Intuit
millem31

I agree - I have been using turbotax for 20 years and they won’t get another nickel from me if they do not fix this.  I denied access to my safari keychain in the first step. There is no way I will give Turbotax access for all my computer passwords and user names.
scof1

This is what I had to do, and it allowed turbotax 2017 Delux to automatically download the itsdeductable information.

Step 1. On my Macbook I opened applications/utilities/keychain. I deleted any files that were turbo tax and itsdeductable related.

Step 2. I logged into the itsdeductable website, and changed my login username. Then log out of their website.

Step 3. Make sure you have Quit Turbotax. Restart your computer. Open turbotax. In my case I searched “donations/charities”. It took me to the page where it asked to select “yes” for using itsdeductable.

Step 4. This time it gave me the screen requesting log in info for itsdeductable. Once I did that, it immediately and successfully downloaded the data.

I hope that works for you.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies