Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Turbotax Deluxe 2023 will not let me choose itemized deductions

Program is locked into standardized deduction no matter what I do.  Already exceeded the $13.850 standard (Single) deduction I added another 50k of bogus mortgage interest ...still no change.   ALSO:  Program refuses manual input of selecting itemized deductions on schedule A line 18.   I have confirmed I have the Deluxe version in the "about" menu.   What's the problem here?! 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

11 Replies

Are you using the Desktop installed program?  

For the Desktop program, switch to Forms Mode (click Forms in the upper right). If Schedule A is not listed in the left column, you can open Schedule A by clicking on Open Form at the top of the left column and finding A in the list of US forms on the right side. You can print it from there. There are also other places like on the main Info Worksheet (not My Info or Personal Info wksht) part VI Additional Information with 3 checkboxes to force Schedule A.

How to change between the Standard Deduction and Itemized Deductions
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/accessing/help/how-do-i-change-from-the-standard-deduction-to-item...

Oh, and have  you updated the program?  Go up to Online-Check for Updates.  

KrisD15
Expert Alumni

It sounds like you are using TurboTax Desktop. 

Please return to 

Deductions & Credits 

Select "I'll choose what I work on"

Scroll down and select "Done with Deduction"

Next screen should be an analysis on the "Let's Check Your Deductions and Credits" screen

Click CONTINUE

The program might ask additional questions about additional possible deductions and Sales Tax

You should eventually get to the "Here are your (tax year) Deductions & Credits"

Click CONTINUE

The next screen should show what the program chose for you and allows you to change the deduction, and allows you to select the method you prefer. 

@Wetmelon

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
somebody2

I'm having this problem with my state (Oregon) taxes.  It is choosing the standard deduction instead of the higher itemized deduction amount.  I've run through the easy step process several times and no change.  I can't find a section that  lets me choose.   How do I force TurboTax to use my itemized deduction of $11,993 vs the standard of $3805?

Thank you!  This worked.  Not only that but when I navigated to the screen you mentioned which compared values it presented all my itemized deductions at zero as if I never entered anything!  This has never happened before.  When I selected itemized, it suddenly filled it with my numbers.  Also, after encountering this glitch in TurboTax and using FreeTax with the same numbers, it gave me $40 more credit using the standard deduction. (not sure how that can be but I'll take it)  Also, it was user friendly and presented me with the correct values to compare.  Been using TurboTax for 20 years but with these problems and the fact that they include less and costs more each year, I am no longer a fan.  Last year I got the premium for $119 and it did not include NOL carryforward and had to do manually.  I called H&R Block and they didn't even know that NOL is used for casualty carry forwards....argued that was for business only...so, yeah, the "experts" are not reliable either.  At least I found that I can get a better program for free that I've been paying $60-$120 to TurboTax.   It was good while it lasted tho. Thanks again!!!

Thanks for your reply.  Yes,   I already tried that.. after selecting schedule A from the FORMS option, it would not allow me to select the box in schedule A..  I;ve gotten used to doing most everything manually on TurboTax the last few years but not allowing manual input was a first.  I tried another option suggested and it worked but I'm not happy with what I found or the workaround...had all my deductions listed as ZERO until i selected itemized. The fact that I have to get help for something as basic as this is disappointing.   I tried FreeTax after these problems and it works better and without the problems and cost of TurboTax.

JohnB5677
Expert Alumni

If you are in the desktop version, go to the forms mode.

On the top left, click the Open Form button

1. Type Schedule A
  2. The first selection is 2023 US form 1040 ...
  3. Schedule A
  4. Make that selection.

The Schedule A has many restrictions

You can see the calculations on this form.

The total Itemized deduction is on line 17.

Is that larger or smaller than the standard deduction?

I found a work around.  While working on my state taxes I clicked on Forms and on the left I selected the 'Info Worksheet' and went down to Part V and de-selected 'Take the standard deduction even if less than itemized deductions'.    This shouldn't happen in my opinion.   I never selected this to begin with.  

Thanks for your reply.  I have got it worked out with another workaround offered.  I tried exactly what you suggested right away as I am used to going into the forms for the past 10 years on TurboTax.  This year when i went to the forms I initially saw that the itemized was listed as zero with zero in all columns for my itemized numbers.  When I added a bogus 50k to my mortgage interest to see if it changed, it did not.  Still had me locked into the standard.  After the workaround and getting my selection changed to ITEMIZED all the numbers fell into place as normally would have.  Not sure what the glitch is but but it has lowered my confidence in the program.

Echosmom

I think there must be a glitch in the program right now, because I am not getting this screen to choose the deductions and I suspect that others are not also.  I have gotten this screen/prompt in past years.

IsabellaG
Expert Alumni

I had a similar experience when entering Itemized Deductions in TurboTax Premier, where I was automatically given the Standard Deduction, even though my Itemized Deductions were higher. 

After entering all of my deductions, and clicking Done with Deductions, on the screen Here Are Your 2023 Deductions & Credits  I was given the Standard Deduction. 

However, on the next screen, I was given the opportunity to change my deduction to Itemized Deductions. See the screenshot below. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies