turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Traditional IRA Contribution

TurboTax is asking if I was covered by an employer retirement plan in 2020 to determine if I can contribute to a Traditional IRA to reduce my taxes.   My wife is not employed in 2020.  However, I lost my job April 2020.  I was previously covered under an employer 401K until I was released.  Can my wife and I both still contribute to a traditional IRA for 2020 tax year since I was no longer covered under employer retirement plan after April?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
ColeenD3
Expert Alumni

Unfortunately, no. If you are covered for even one day, you are considered to be covered for that year.

You can contribute to a traditional or Roth IRA even if you participate in another retirement plan through your employer or business. However, you may not be able to deduct all of your traditional IRA contributions if you or your spouse participates in another retirement plan at work. Roth IRA contributions might be limited if your income exceeds a certain level.

Covered by employer plan

View solution in original post

2 Replies
ColeenD3
Expert Alumni

Unfortunately, no. If you are covered for even one day, you are considered to be covered for that year.

You can contribute to a traditional or Roth IRA even if you participate in another retirement plan through your employer or business. However, you may not be able to deduct all of your traditional IRA contributions if you or your spouse participates in another retirement plan at work. Roth IRA contributions might be limited if your income exceeds a certain level.

Covered by employer plan

Thanks for the information.  I thought that might be the case.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies