Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I need help entering a casualty loss

I bought a house in June and had a robbery in July. I have property damage/loss that needs to be entered and I need help filling in information about the loss such as cost basis. Is this the amount I paid for the house or just the total loss value
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

8 Replies

Was part of the loss covered by insurance? If so, approximately how much was not covered and what was it?

Total loss was 14,290.49, insurance covered 13,180.63 and when I try to enter the information it keeps showing 0 for deductions

I purchase my house 6/8/2016 and had a robbery on 7/29/2016 with property damage. The repairs were mostly covered by my insurance company however not completely. $1,109.86 was the amount not covered by insurance

The amount not covered was $1,000 deductible and $109.86 depreciation value of content loss that was not replaced

Does this loss qualify for any tax deductions? The computer calculator keeps showing $0 deductions.

No. See the answer. It does not qualify for any deduction at all. None.

Thank you, I appreciate the explanation

If your uncovered loss was $1,109.86, then don't even bother trying to claim it as a casualty loss. Why. Simply this, for any casualty loss, once you have determined the gross loss, and let's say that is was $1,109.86, to determine what you can deduct, you must first reduce that amount by  $100, leaving $1,009.86, and then you have to further reduce that loss by 10% of your adjusted gross income. So, if your adjusted gross income was more than 10,098.60, then you have 0 loss left to deduct.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies