turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I started working for a non-profit and I'm buying so much stuff for my office like a lamp, supplies, a fan etc. Can I save these receipts and write these off? Thanks!

n/a
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I started working for a non-profit and I'm buying so much stuff for my office like a lamp, supplies, a fan etc. Can I save these receipts and write these off? Thanks!

To treat them as charitable donations, you must have a letter of acknowledgement from the organization (it does not have to attest to the value of the items, you'll use receipts for that),

And, the items have to become the property of the organization (you will not take them with you when you leave, and the organization could come by your desk and say "nice lamp, but I think that belongs in someone else's office".)

Alternatively, if you have expenses for your job (no matter who you work for) that are ordinary and customary for your type of work and are not reimbursed by the employer, you can take them as unreimbursed business expenses on form 2106. But this is subject to the 2% rule so the actual tax benefit will be limited, if you can claim it at all.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

To treat them as charitable donations, you must have a letter of acknowledgement from the organization (it does not have to attest to the value of the items, you'll use receipts for that),

And, the items have to become the property of the organization (you will not take them with you when you leave, and the organization could come by your desk and say "nice lamp, but I think that belongs in someone else's office".)

Alternatively, if you have expenses for your job (no matter who you work for) that are ordinary and customary for your type of work and are not reimbursed by the employer, you can take them as unreimbursed business expenses on form 2106. But this is subject to the 2% rule so the actual tax benefit will be limited, if you can claim it at all.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies