Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My son & I are volunteers with Civil Air Patrol & have been told we can deduct the cost of our uniforms and travel to CAP activities. Where do we put this information?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
LisaBr

My son & I are volunteers with Civil Air Patrol & have been told we can deduct the cost of our uniforms and travel to CAP activities. Where do we put this information?

To enter your donations follow these steps:

1.  Go to Federal, select Deductions and Credits, then choose Charitable Donations.

2.  Go down the list and select Donations to Charity in 2017.  (Do Not choose the Import from It's Deductible online)

3.  Answer yes that you want to report a charitable donation.

4.  Enter the Civil Air Patrol.  Choose to Add Mileage and Travel.  (You will come back to this page later to enter a Cash Donation for the cost of your uniforms.)

5.  The next page is where you will enter the mileage and expenses for travel for the donation.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
LisaBr

To enter your donations follow these steps:

1.  Go to Federal, select Deductions and Credits, then choose Charitable Donations.

2.  Go down the list and select Donations to Charity in 2017.  (Do Not choose the Import from It's Deductible online)

3.  Answer yes that you want to report a charitable donation.

4.  Enter the Civil Air Patrol.  Choose to Add Mileage and Travel.  (You will come back to this page later to enter a Cash Donation for the cost of your uniforms.)

5.  The next page is where you will enter the mileage and expenses for travel for the donation.

"Held, since the organization [CAP] is a qualified donee under section 170(c) of the [Internal Revenue] Code, the taxpayer may, to the extent of the limitations prescribed in section 170, deduct the nonreimbursed, out-of-pocket expenses directly attributable to the performance of such volunteer services, such as those incurred by the taxpayer for the operation, maintenance, and repair of a personally owned aircraft, automobile, communication system, and telescope, as well as those similarly incurred for the purchase and maintenance of distinctive uniforms which the taxpayer is required to wear while engaged in the official Civil Air Patrol activities and is prohibited from wearing except on such occasions. Such expenses are deductible as contributions "for the use of" that organization.

Thanks, that was what I found online as well. My bigger issue was that I didn't know if I called it a charitable donation, which didn't make sense because purchases don't normally equal donations. But I think I found the information I need on how to include it in Turbo Tax so all should be good now.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies