Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

chen9069

Hello, what do you mean Medicare or none in HDHP coverage

Does the self only mean It only covers my fee?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

To be eligible for an HSA, you must have an HDHP (High Deductible Health Plan).

If you have Medicare, you can no longer contribute to an HSA (note: this means to be actually enrolled in Medicare, not merely old enough to be eligible).

Medicare or None means that you either were on Medicare or you no longer had an HDHP, thus you are no longer eligible to contribute to your HSA. 

Self Only means that this HSA (and the HDHP) are for you only, as opposed to the Family Plan which covers a spouse or dependents.

The months you indicate help determine what your annual contribution limit is.

View solution in original post

5 Replies

To be eligible for an HSA, you must have an HDHP (High Deductible Health Plan).

If you have Medicare, you can no longer contribute to an HSA (note: this means to be actually enrolled in Medicare, not merely old enough to be eligible).

Medicare or None means that you either were on Medicare or you no longer had an HDHP, thus you are no longer eligible to contribute to your HSA. 

Self Only means that this HSA (and the HDHP) are for you only, as opposed to the Family Plan which covers a spouse or dependents.

The months you indicate help determine what your annual contribution limit is.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have a Family HDHP but also my son has secondary Medicaid for a disability. Do I check the Medicaid box or only the Family HDHP box?

BillM223
Expert Alumni

The question on health care coverage in the HSA interview refers only to the person who owns the HSA. I presume that this would be you, not your son.

Family coverage in an HDHP means that it covers you and at least one other person, even if that person is otherwise not qualified for an HSA (your son is disqualified from having his own because of the Medicaid). However, if he is your dependent, you can still use funds in your HSA to pay for his qualified medical expenses that were not already covered by any insurance (HDHP, Medicaid, whatever).

So in the normal course of events, you would not even mention that your son has Medicaid, if he doesn't have an HSA.

@Anonymous

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I am still working with benefits and a HDHP plan that covers my wife and I. We are both receiving Social Security, which means we are also registered for Medicare.

I cancelled/stopped contributing to my HSA Account in 2019, and depleted the amount in early 2020. I now have an FSA Account at work.

How do I answer the questions for Tell us what type of HDHP coverage we had?

Self Only - Family Plan or Medicare None?

Thank YOU!

MarilynG1
Expert Alumni

@mether05 You would indicate 'None of the above' since you did not contribute to an HSA in2020.

Your FSA does not get reported here.

Since you used your HSA funds in 2020, you may have received a 1099-SA to report this.

As long as you indicate the amount 'was used for medical expenses', there is no tax implication.

Click this link for more info on HSA Distributions

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies