turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Nexus1

I am a US citizen living in Canada. Do I report income from a T4A from OAS in TurboTax?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

10 Replies
Cindy0H

I am a US citizen living in Canada. Do I report income from a T4A from OAS in TurboTax?

Are you filing a US or Canadian return?
Nexus1

I am filing both.  Your response refers to a US resident.  I am a Canadian resident and a US citizen.  Thank you for your response.
Nexus1

This question is for the US return.  Thanks.
Cindy0H

You are welcome!
Cindy0H

If you are filing a US return, here's how:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/5581054

If you are not filing a US return, let me know and I will give other instructions.

Cindy0H

Did this work?
Nexus1

No, as I said I am a Canadian resident, US citizen.  I talked with IRS on this & they said to enter total of SS & T4A OAS on line 5A on 1040 and 0 on line 5B (taxable amt.) & ref. Canadian Treaty  but now I don't how to do that in TurboTax.  Can you help with this?
Cindy0H

If you enter it on that line, it will be taxed as our Social Security is. You could enter it as Canadian Retirement and enter zero as taxable distribution. It will go on lines 4 a and b but should have the same result.
Nexus1

I found out how to do it!  List the SSA1099's & OAS's together in TT then go and change the 1040, 1040 wk. sheet, & SS wk. sheets manually and change the taxable amt. to 0 & everything works out OK.  Yea!  Thank you for all your effort to help figure this out.  
Cindy0H

I am glad it worked out for you!
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies