turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

third stimulus check --how to get the rebate on 2020 return

We are married filing jointly. We didn't have enough income to file in 2019.  

we received the first and second economic stimulus checks of $600 x 2 = $1200 and then $1200 x 2 = $2400 however for the third stimulus check, we only received one $600 check.  We were told by the IRS that if we submitted our 2020 Federal return, that we would be made whole and that the additional $600 for the other person would be automatically applied when the return was calculated.  I am in Turbo Tax Premier and getting ready to submit it, however it is not calculating that the additional $600 is due to us -- in fact, Turbo Tax is indicating that the third stimulus check will be applied on the 2021 tax return...however we won't be required to file a return in 2021 based on our expected income.  Is there some way to get this third rebate credit applied to the 2020 tax return that we are about to file for the October 15, 2020 deadline?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

8 Replies

Forget about the 2020 return.  That's only covers the 1st and 2nd Stimulus payments which you already got.   So make sure you don't have anything listed on 1040 line 30.

The 3rd Stimulus payment is 1,400 per person not 600.  So I don't know why you only got 600 so far.   Do you have any dependents?

Thanks! 

1) How do I see a draft of the 1040 in TurboTax so that I can check line 30?

2) We are a married couple with no dependents. I don't have any idea why we only got $600 but clearly we are due a lot more if it's $1400 per person, or $2800 less $600 = $2200.   How are we supposed to get this third stimulus payment corrected if not on the 2020 return? help?

Before filing,  You can preview the 1040 or print the whole return

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/accessing/help/how-do-i-preview-my-turbotax-online-return-before-f...

Here's IRS info on the third Stimulus payment 

https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/get-my-payment 

They must have thought you were asking about the 2nd Stimulus payment.  That one was 600 person.  The first one was 1,200/2,400 for married.

ok, here is a revision....

after further investigation, it now seems that we received the first stimulus check combined as $2400 ($1200 each) however we only received one $600 check for the second payment.  So now the question is how do we enter in the requested $600 SECOND payment in TurboTax Premier that was never made to one of us?  

(It does seem that we did get the third payment of $2800 total or $1400 each).@volvogirl

@mikeasmel 

For the first and second stimulus payment, when you have completed your federal tax return and are about to go to the state module, there is a federal review page, where any last or missed federal items are brought to your attention.  You can also access this directly by clicking the federal tab, and then clicking “review”, which should be to the right of “income” and “deductions and credits”.

If you are married filing jointly, TurboTax will ask if you received the full amount for your situation, which is $2400 in round 1 and $1200 in round 2. If you check the box for “no”, TurboTax will ask again “are you sure?” to make sure that your figures are accurate, and then you will be given a place to enter the amount that you did receive. If you tell TurboTax that you received $2400 in round 1 and $600 in round 2, and if your income is below the threshold of $150,000, then TurboTax should add the other $600 to line 30 of your tax return as the recovery rebate.  

Note that if the IRS issued a payment, and you did not receive it for some reason, such as incorrect banking information, you can’t claim the rebate on your tax return, you must trace the missing payment.  The IRS might have issued $600 to one of you and not the other, or it might’ve issued $600 separately to each of you, and one of the payments went missing.  If you claim a rebate and the IRS thinks it already paid one, your refund will be delayed and you won’t get the money.  To check what the IRS thinks they issued, each spouse needs to log into their online account—each spouse has a separate account in their name even though you file a joint return.

https://www.irs.gov/payments/view-your-tax-account

Also note that any taxpayer who did not receive the correct amount of the third stimulus payment will be eligible to claim a recovery rebate on their 2021 tax return, although you clarified that this is not the situation for you.

I am on SSDI, I live abroad, I never received the 3rd stimulus check got the first 2 tho direct deposit my bank is in the US. I even used Intuit to create my tax return, I faxed 6 pages out on June 23rd and no reply! Calling the IRS from the Philippines is like 30$ (or more if put on hold.) So now, I really don't want it. I've run out of options. 

@bronxbull1166 wrote:y,

I am on SSDI, I live abroad, I never received the 3rd stimulus check got the first 2 tho direct deposit my bank is in the US. I even used Intuit to create my tax return, I faxed 6 pages out on June 23rd and no reply! Calling the IRS from the Philippines is like 30$ (or more if put on hold.) So now, I really don't want it. I've run out of options. 

The IRS has stopped sending round 3 stimulus checks.  If you qualify, you can claim the money as a rebate added to your 2021 tax return.  If you don't normally file a return because your income is not taxable, you can file one just to get the rebate.  You may have to create $1 of fake taxable bank interest, because you can't e-file a return with zero income.  (This will not result in tax and the IRS knows this issue with their system.)

Before you file your return to claim the rebate, check your IRS online account.  If the IRS thinks they sent a stimulus payment, you can't claim the rebate even if you never received the stimulus.  You have to trace the missing payment instead.

https://www.irs.gov/payments/view-your-tax-account

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies