Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

MikeH

Is the “Alternative Fuel Vehicle Refueling Property Credit Form 8911” available for 2017?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
GinnyF

Is the “Alternative Fuel Vehicle Refueling Property Credit Form 8911” available for 2017?

There are questions regarding the calculation of the Form 8911, Alternative Fuel Vehicle Refueling Property Credit and who qualifies for the personal part of this credit. The most common reason taxpayers do not qualify for this credit is that the calculation of regular tax after credits compared to Tentative Minimum Tax results in the credit being disallowed based on the amounts in the taxpayer(s) return. This is due to IRS instructions for this form.

The Form 8911 for personal installations is calculated based on certain requirements and calculations:

The following requirements must be met to qualify for the credit.
You placed the refueling property in service during your tax year.
The original use of the property began with you.
The property isn’t used predominantly outside the United States.
The property must be installed on property used as your main home.

The personal credit calculations are as follows:
Line 1 Cost of the refueling property  For personal use, skip lines 2-9.
Line 10 equals Line 1
Line 11 equals Line 10 times 30%
Line 12 equals $1,000   (unless you moved during the tax year and installed a refueling property at both residences, then the maximum is $2,000)
Line 14 is your regular tax before credits
Line 15 a and b are credits which reduce regular tax before the Form 8911 credit
Line 15c equals a and b total.
Line 16 is line 14 minus Line 15c (remaining regular tax after tax credits)
If this is zero or less, you do not qualify for a personal 8911 credit
Line 17 equals Tentative Minimum Tax
(Even if you do not have to pay Alternative Minimum Tax, the Tentative Minimum Tax is part of this calculation. Turbo Tax does this calculation for you.)
Line 18 equals Line 17 from Line 16.
If this is zero or less, you do not qualify for a personal 8911 credit.

View solution in original post

31 Replies
GinnyF

There are questions regarding the calculation of the Form 8911, Alternative Fuel Vehicle Refueling Property Credit and who qualifies for the personal part of this credit. The most common reason taxpayers do not qualify for this credit is that the calculation of regular tax after credits compared to Tentative Minimum Tax results in the credit being disallowed based on the amounts in the taxpayer(s) return. This is due to IRS instructions for this form.

The Form 8911 for personal installations is calculated based on certain requirements and calculations:

The following requirements must be met to qualify for the credit.
You placed the refueling property in service during your tax year.
The original use of the property began with you.
The property isn’t used predominantly outside the United States.
The property must be installed on property used as your main home.

The personal credit calculations are as follows:
Line 1 Cost of the refueling property  For personal use, skip lines 2-9.
Line 10 equals Line 1
Line 11 equals Line 10 times 30%
Line 12 equals $1,000   (unless you moved during the tax year and installed a refueling property at both residences, then the maximum is $2,000)
Line 14 is your regular tax before credits
Line 15 a and b are credits which reduce regular tax before the Form 8911 credit
Line 15c equals a and b total.
Line 16 is line 14 minus Line 15c (remaining regular tax after tax credits)
If this is zero or less, you do not qualify for a personal 8911 credit
Line 17 equals Tentative Minimum Tax
(Even if you do not have to pay Alternative Minimum Tax, the Tentative Minimum Tax is part of this calculation. Turbo Tax does this calculation for you.)
Line 18 equals Line 17 from Line 16.
If this is zero or less, you do not qualify for a personal 8911 credit.

Since the spending bill with the tax extenders has just been passed and signed into law, both the IRS and tax preparation software companies have to change various forms, schedules, worksheets and calculations to conform with the extenders in the bill.  It will be several weeks before anything is finalized at the IRS and with the TurboTax software which must also be approved by the IRS after they have completed their own system configurations.

Go to this IRS website for information - https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-statement-on-retroactive-extender-provisions

See this TurboTax support FAQ for information - https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/4241639-tax-relief-the-bipartisan-budget-act-of-2018

It's been two weeks.  Any idea on when the 2017 Form 8911 will be available?  Thanks,

Form 8911 is scheduled to be available on 03/08/2018 (subject to change)

Thanks, Donin!

I don't understand the continued delay wrt form 8911. The 3/2 tt update now allows me to enter data and correctly calculates the 30% credit, but it won't allow me to file because the 8911 form is not yet contained in tt. Why do we have to wait another week when form 8911 is available on irs.gov? I already waited a week for the 3/2 update that promised to fix this issue. Can I populate the 8911 form from irs and insert it into tt to file today?
bsangrey

Form 8911 is now 3/9. Personal calculation still doesn't work correctly.
lepope

still not working as of am 3/9.
soareyes

Mine went through yesterday, 3/8. I had been waiting about a week. My TT updated yesterday afternoon and I was able to finish filing electronically. My printed copy of my tax return has a completed 2017 Form 8911.

Mine still not available on 3/13. =/

I was able to file with Form 8911 on March 8th.
sorbix

There might be a little confusion here. It also seemed to me like the tax benefit wasn't accruing to my total when I filled in the form, but when I read the FAQ it looks like a credit only applies if you owe money for the year. i.e. you don't get a tax benefit if you were already getting a credit for the year, which makes it seem like the form is broken but actually it's working as intended? (I could be wrong, this is not tax advice)

I don't think that is correct. I installed solar panels a few years ago with a similar 30% credit and received a large refund. The IRS page does not mention that the credit is situational to owing vs receiving a refund. <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://www.irs.gov/credits-deductions/individuals/alternative-fuel-vehicle-refueling-property-credi...>

I think this form is broken in turbotax.  I have no ATM, no business expenses (and no I did not check I used it for business) and I have more than enough tax liability get this credit 100%.  No matter what I do, turbotax zero's this credit and says it will not file this form.  Turbotax needs to fix this.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies