Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Where do i enter the calfirpta withholding from sale of real estate in california

10000 was withheld from the sale of my house for cal-firpta which is California withholding and it did not appear on the 1099-s I received from the title company

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DianeW
Expert Alumni

Where do i enter the calfirpta withholding from sale of real estate in california

The state tax withheld that is an unusual type of withholding such as this can be entered in TurboTax.  See below.

Definition:  Foreign Investment in Real Property Tax Act (or "FIRPTA"), California Revenue and Taxation Code Section 18662 (which is sometimes referred to as "CalFIRPTA") requires withholding of a percentage of the purchase price from the sale of real estate interests in California in certain circumstances, i.e. , generally when the seller is a nonresident individual or a corporation with no permanent place of business in California immediately after the sale. 

1. Sign into your TurboTax desktop account.
  2. Select the Personal Taxes tab, I'll choose what I work on
  3. Next, select Deductions & Credits
  4. Scroll to Estimates & Other Taxes Paid
  5. Scroll to Other Income Taxes Paid in 2016
  6. Select Withholding Not Already Entered on a W2 or 1099
  7. Use the State withholding column
  8. Enter the amount 
  9. Select drop down arrow to choose the state.

View solution in original post

9 Replies
DianeW
Expert Alumni

The state tax withheld that is an unusual type of withholding such as this can be entered in TurboTax.  See below.

Definition:  Foreign Investment in Real Property Tax Act (or "FIRPTA"), California Revenue and Taxation Code Section 18662 (which is sometimes referred to as "CalFIRPTA") requires withholding of a percentage of the purchase price from the sale of real estate interests in California in certain circumstances, i.e. , generally when the seller is a nonresident individual or a corporation with no permanent place of business in California immediately after the sale. 

1. Sign into your TurboTax desktop account.
  2. Select the Personal Taxes tab, I'll choose what I work on
  3. Next, select Deductions & Credits
  4. Scroll to Estimates & Other Taxes Paid
  5. Scroll to Other Income Taxes Paid in 2016
  6. Select Withholding Not Already Entered on a W2 or 1099
  7. Use the State withholding column
  8. Enter the amount 
  9. Select drop down arrow to choose the state.

What if the property was in Texas not in California and the Tax was hold by the IRS (federal not state tax).   Thanks 

1. Sign into your TurboTax account.
  2. Select the Personal  Taxes tab, I'll choose what I work on
  3. Next, select Deductions & Credits
  4. Scroll to Estimates & Other Taxes Paid
  5. Scroll to Other Income Taxes Paid in 2019
  6. Select Withholding Not Already Entered on a W2 or 1099

Thanks

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

Please review this turbo tax link for information on how to enter calfirpta tax in Turbo Tax..

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Hi again, question, how can I enter the Firtpa taxes in TurboTax if they don’t do the 1040NR

If you need to file a 1040NR then you cannot use TT at all ...  see the links for sprintax...

https://www.sprintax.com/non-resident-alien-tax-1040nr-turbotax.html

https://www.sprintax.com/contact-us.html

Well I received the Firtpa certificate from the IRS, it’s said I need to fill the 1040NR because I’m in the US with an investor visa, my past 12 years my CPA filed the regular 1040 for my an my wife, after consult with him and another CPA they suggested the NR one but honestly now I’m confused 

This is a public forum ... seek local professional assistance. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies